LL Pioneer - reduced heat

Floydman89
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Floydman89 » Thu. Feb. 07, 2019 2:18 pm

Hello. I have a LL Pioneer that in the last day or so has reduced the amount of heat it is putting out. Last summer I cleaned the unit out with a shop vac.. yet I did not take anything apart .- it has been running fine all winter .. .
I have increased my max setting because of how cold it's been out. . and yet in the last couple days it has warmed up. . the stove is not putting out the heat.- - I've steadily have increased the max .. all the way to 99 now. .and the shelf with hot coal is only 1/3 down .. I can not get it to push hot coals off. . . Temp set to 80degs. .and it's only 65degs in the house... Ideas?

crazy4coal

Post by crazy4coal » Thu. Feb. 07, 2019 5:14 pm

Sounds like it's due for a mid-winter cleaning. Vac under the grate and make sure the holes are all cleaned out (1/8 drill bit). Clean the pipes and check chimney base. What's the draft reading?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 5:36 am

sounds like a good cleaning. Make sure all your blowers are working correctly, or blades need cleaned. Also, try plugging into power outlet directly to see if the coaltrol has any issues. if the blowers change speed or speed up, maybe a setting or something in controller changed.

Vbull
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Reading Juanita
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Vbull » Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 8:07 am

I once had a very large chunk of coal get caught at the bottom of the hopper which restricted the rice coal getting onto the feeder. I dug the coal out of the hopper, removed the big piece and all was well again. Easy fix. You might want to check that first.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 6:36 pm

could have fines under the slider plate not letting push coal correctly or a lot of fine under the grate reducing air flow

Floydman89
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Floydman89 » Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 2:59 pm

OK- Update: - I had no idea the grate came apart to clean underneath it!! this is my second year running the stove.. - I shut the stove down. .popped off the grate and it was full of ash.. I vacuumed it all out .. and also cleaned out a few holes in the grate that were plugged full. A few days went by. .and I still could not get coal beyond 1/3 down the grate.. - Solution: - the feeder motor came loose!!! . - I was able to remove the feeder motor while the stove was still running - 2- 7/16" nuts.. .. and tighten down the 2 screws that hold it to the plate .. re-installed and the stove has been running great!!!! Thanks for all the replies!! :)

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 3:29 pm

Good for you, and much appreciated for the follow up report.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”