keystoker 90 timer

Squid3083
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Squid3083 » Thu. Jan. 31, 2019 12:22 am

Hi newbie just bought a keystoker 90 couple of weeks ago and installed today.
I have 2 questions.
First it seems that even when i lower the desired temp under the actual temp, feeder continues to run every 2 to 3 minutes. I was looking for the timer box with the fan limit switch in the manual, can't find it ?? I have 2 boxes in the back, the junction box with thermostat and the other electronic box with the rj 45 marked coal trol, no box with roulette with pins I see in the instruction. Am I missing something?

Second the bed of burning anthracite is going past the grate by 1 inch.

i have tried turning the screw in the back 1 turn counter clock wise to reduce the push of the coals, but I suspect it would be the time to be lowered, not the length of the push that I need to address.

The flab on my convection blower is opened half way. Is that too much and what is the results of less air in the convection blower or more. In the manual it says if I have fused anthracite, it is what it seems to be up to 1 inch over the edge dangling there lol. By the time the coal fall in the bucket they are extinguished thow.

Otherwise this stove is incredible and works very good and I would like to attach duck to this thing to get the hot air at the end of my house.

Thanks for any help
Dan

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Jan. 31, 2019 5:46 am

Coal takes time to settle out.

With a coaltrol, the settings are in the Thermostat. there are MIN (idle) and MAX (Full burn) settings. Idle is controlled by the MIN settings in the thermostat. a lot of good threads on here on the CoalTrol/functions.

Reduce your MAX a couple points and let it settle out for an hour or so and check it. if the FR (Feed rate) is 99 and still pushing hot reduce it a couple more.

the feed screw should on the stove I believe should be set at max (clockwise IN). I think. and you control the max feed with the coaltrol thermostat settings.

Yes, it will run every 2-3 minutes, but only for a few seconds depending on your settings in the coaltrol

Squid3083

Post by Squid3083 » Thu. Jan. 31, 2019 8:47 am

WNY wrote:
Thu. Jan. 31, 2019 5:46 am
Coal takes time to settle out.

With a coaltrol, the settings are in the Thermostat. there are MIN (idle) and MAX (Full burn) settings. Idle is controlled by the MIN settings in the thermostat. a lot of good threads on here on the CoalTrol/functions.

Reduce your MAX a couple points and let it settle out for an hour or so and check it. if the FR (Feed rate) is 99 and still pushing hot reduce it a couple more.

the feed screw should on the stove I believe should be set at max (clockwise IN). I think. and you control the max feed with the coaltrol thermostat settings.

Yes, it will run every 2-3 minutes, but only for a few seconds depending on your settings in the coal trol
Thanks for the prompt response.

When it was in the night time mode it was feeding every 1:30 for 5 secs.
When I did override the temp in the day and put the desired temp under the actual temp to put it in sleep mode it was still feeding for at least 30 sec or close I didn't time it properly every 2 minutes or close.
Keystoker says to put the max rate at 80 to 90. previous owner had it at 72.

As stated I did turn the screw in the back one turn anti clock wise. This morning burn has reassessed to 1 inch before end of the grates.

I see in videos that I am supposed to have a long screw with a plastic tab to turn pass the end of the back of the feeder.
I don't have that all I see is a screw inside that i have to reach with a screw driver, is that normal of was it replaced?

Is it like you said screw all the way in and control via software only ??

thanks

WNY

Post by WNY » Thu. Jan. 31, 2019 8:17 pm

I think thats about right for the Keystoker MAX around 80-90. every stove is different and it takes a little fiddling to get it dialed in correctly. You can adjust feed with the screw if you can't dial it in with the Thermostat for MIN and MAX settings.
with the coal trol, it will feed so many seconds off vs. on time. to keep and idle fire.

There's a good thread on here about all the features of the coaltrol.
Coal-Trol V3 Firmware Features

I have just a standard digital thermostat and timer box on my keystoker, but the coaltrol on my LL Hyfire.
I don;t use setback or anything, only vary the temp maybe 1-2 degrees if needed.

Squid3083

Post by Squid3083 » Fri. Feb. 01, 2019 3:52 pm

Finally talked to one of the owners of keystone who know the unit well.

More manuals then needed were printed to confuse me by previous owner. The timer is only with the old unit. Those with the coal-trol control everything from software.

Don't touch the screw!!. Long screw with plastic handle is for timer based stove. yes it is screwed in all the way to the right like u said. I have to undo what I did lol.

the min max I checked in the forum with the reference u gave me, and finally understood its a portion out of 100 sec so min 10 means 10 sec pushing and 90 doing nothing, same goes for max. That's why I was hearing it always going on every minute and a half. So min btu is determined by that like u said. with fan speed of convection.

As for ash he said when i'm pushing the stove, it's normal to have a lot of hot coals clumped a bit together and one inch past the stove red hot and will eventually fall in the bucket. He suggested the same default they have on their stove in their warehouse 10 75. so that's what i used bcus i was going away for night working and it was a very cold night here -19c ( -2.2f) with wind to -32c( -22f).

I think that I used a bit more then a 40 lbs bag in 24 hour. Was hoping for a bit less with the price i'm paying here.
I took incomplete pallet of 35 blashack 40 lbs at $9 canadian plus tax. next skid will be 11.95 cad plus tax at 50 lbs per bag Kimmel . About the same I payed at discount price.

You did not answer this question:
The flap on my convection blower is opened half way. Is that too much and what is the results of less air in the convection blower or more air.

thanks

Squid3083

Post by Squid3083 » Fri. Feb. 01, 2019 4:56 pm

Hi Dave

used about 1/3 to 1/2 of 40 lbs bag since 6:30 am to 4:40 pm
I see unburned coal that is still black , but before increasing max at 70 at request of dealer ash was grey only, so I think feeding rate is too fast, so slowed it down from 70 to 65 and decreased a bit temp as a bit more high then needed, temp outside is up.

HLF was set to 3 as it was with previous owner. there is actually a lot of lost in my house, do you know the effect of this factor on the feeding or anything else ?? I put it at 0 for the first day and a half.

Do not have time to adjust screw back the way it was, bcus i'm going away to work.

I just installed the stove so did not have time to drill a whole in the ceiling to move the thermostat upstairs, so hotter downstairs and colder up. a bit tricky to adjust properly, but thermostat is about 10 feet from stove.

WNY

Post by WNY » Fri. Feb. 01, 2019 5:43 pm

The combustion air blower inlet cover is usually about 1/2 closed. can be adjusted for a bit more flow or less flow. i think mine had a white mark on it about 1/2 open. my other stove they both run wide open, they don't have covers.

it takes time to get used to the controls, the HLF (Heat Loss Factor) will make it respond a little quicker, but might also use more coal in the process. i think mine is at 0 or 1 and does pretty well.

Sounds like you're getting closer to dialing it in for settings.

Squid3083

Post by Squid3083 » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 7:05 am

I will check deeper in the HLF but right now I put it back to 3 as it was.

In front of the stove above the door, there is a rectangular plate held by 2 screws. One is missing and has been replaced with the wrong size half open. Is that part of the hot air output ?? what is the purpose of that plate. I will remove the screw and find the same length and size and replace it as soon as possible, I forgot about that one when I sanded down the stove and repainted it.

I will also check in that 1/2 closed door on the convection blower for the grate as what implication would more air have on the burning ?? It is screwed in pretty tight. I thought that I moved it when I was moving the stove inside my house.

WNY

Post by WNY » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 12:01 pm

front block off plate if probably if you have a top hole/vent in the stove for heat. if you don't have the top venting, the plate can be removed for more air flow into the room, depends on the setup of the stove. I put a 8" hole in the top of my stove for more heat, I have a pipe ducted upstairs, so I have the opening almost blocked off so most of the air flow is upstairs.

Squid3083

Post by Squid3083 » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 2:04 pm

I have also a whole in the floor above the stove square 14" but we blocked it 3/4 with a carpet to have the air go along the rest of the house. The stove is top vent. I have 2 6 inch wholes on top of stove and will add a 6" tube isolated to next rooms. Will include a picture but I think we have the de stove except for coal trol.
What is the max length of duct do you think if isolated we can run with a 266 CFM blower ? Will eventually need to go 40 feet helped with a bigger fan of course and branches to small rooms upstairs.

Squid3083

Post by Squid3083 » Sat. Feb. 02, 2019 2:16 pm

So if I understand this if for venting in front of the stove instead of just through the top vent ?? If so will seal it properly so hot air is redirected only in top vent

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”