Keystker 105 convection fan question

tiogajoe
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 105 (sold)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Keystoker HFH 70/90
Other Heating: toyostove

Post by tiogajoe » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 6:51 pm

I have a keystoker 105 with the 350 cfm convection fan. I have the front vent block shut and use a 6" port on the top of the stove that has a 2' section of stove pipe into a 6" tee with flexible elbows. I use this to move heat around the house.
My thinking is upgrading to a 500 cfm blower that may not run as hard as the the 350 when it's very cold out?? Maybe being a little quieter? It's zero out right now and 73 in my house. Fire rate is 45 with the control set at 71 degrees. have my max feed at 85 and have fire out to the edge of the grate. I'm going to back it off slowly to see what happens. My only real complaint is noise from the fan? BTW 73 is too warm for me. I just adjusted a ceiling fan blade direction to move heat down from the ceiling which seems to be working?

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 9:15 pm

I bigger fan in this case is just going to also give more noise. The passageways on the stove are fixed, and the noise resonates in those passageways. I have a Keystoker 90 with a 250 CFM fan, and I find that the fan will generate more noise at lower speeds due to the Coal-trol. A Pulse Width Modulation control for the fan would produce a quieter fan through the range but I do not beleive they do that because it carries a cost. I have and still am messing with a shroud trying to quiet the input side of the fan, with not much success as of yet. Right now it is cold and I have the FSA setting running at 99, which is full speed, and if it gets really cold I will just plug the convection fan into the wall outlet.

tiogajoe
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 105 (sold)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Keystoker HFH 70/90
Other Heating: toyostove

Post by tiogajoe » Fri. Feb. 01, 2019 8:19 pm

I've done some playing around the past few days with this cold weather. I tried a hopper full off Reading buckwheat. Seems the stove runs at lower fire rates with the larger coal. Had a FR of 80 and have observed FR in the low 70's. This has been at the coldest temps. usually in the morning. I also opened the front vent above the stove's front door. If I open it all the way I lose flow off the 6" duct contraption on top of the stove. If I leave it open about a 1/2" the warm air seems to be better distributed in the large room the stove is in. I know I might be taking a chance here and not improve my main issue of noise but hear me out on my thinking. If I went to the larger 500 cfm blower I would be able to fully open the vent on the top of the stove and continue to use my directional adjustable duct work? More CFM would move more heat off the stove from the front and two feet off the top left and right? The stove should be able to satisfy the coaltrol without working the convection fan at a higher speed? Maybe this will cut back on some of the fan noise? Up until now I have not used the front vent ever. Since the stove is using a coaltrol I do not think the larger blower would blow cool air at lower FR because the convection fan adjusts as needed? In the Hand fired forum I was seriously considering getting a hopper feed stove but I doubt I would achieve the even temps. I am seeing with the 105. Both floors of our home are within 1or 2 degrees most of the time. This cold snap has only varied that a small amount....still very impressive for a freestanding stove. I'd only be out the cost of the blower as compared to buying a hand feed and being disappointed with big temp. variations through out the house. Not a dig on hand fired guys. I know many are very happy with them. I'm just not confident I could use a radiant stove and not have to add a blower (noise) to achieve similar results putting me right back where I'm at now. That said I'd like to order a 500cfm and give it a try? I believe it's a Fasco 50769-d500?? Anyone know for sure?

arcticcatmatt

Post by arcticcatmatt » Mon. Feb. 04, 2019 12:12 pm

you might find some value in my thread... i show my 500 cfm fan here. I have same stove as you Post by arcticcatmatt - CFM restricting register

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”