"tink" sound with each stroke of the pusher

darnskewered
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice Coal

Post by darnskewered » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 8:43 am

Every few seconds the pusher on my magnum stoker makes a "tink" sound. Not very loud, but loud enough to be annoying. I'm able to make it go away temporarily by jiggling the pusher rod, but then it comes back. Any ideas?

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 9:11 am

Just an idea - nothing concrete....

Try turning the just sleeve that is on the threaded feed rod. I think I had something similar a few years ago and the threaded rod/sleeve had some play in it. I can't remember if the threaded rod had backed out of the pusher block slightly or if the rod was tight but there was some crud built up at the end of the sleeve.

darnskewered
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice Coal

Post by darnskewered » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 10:50 am

I just tried tightening the rod, I think that mostly cleared up the sound. There has always been a very soft mechanical sound of course, that doesn't concern me. But I think the tink is gone. :D

Horace
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman ST8-VF8 / Frankenstove

Post by Horace » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 12:11 pm

Mine did the same. It was the loop - mine is an older stove that uses a loop; yours probably is a fork - that the feed motor drives. I forget what it's called exactly. Each time the feed motor would drive the loop up it would sort of stick. Then, when the feed motor began pushing it down it would unstick and fall against the feed motor's shaft. It is moderately annoying. I solved it by oiling all the linkages and so forth that I could get to.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”