Last minute help needed please..

kendm1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Channing 2
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by kendm1 » Sun. Jan. 27, 2019 6:21 pm

This was going to be a project then hook up next year but life throws curve balls and my LP tank is out and I need to get this going asap.. does anyone know for sure what this model is? He said Channing 2 but doen't look like what I've seen. Also, the plugs in the back, where do they plug? Seems one connector is extra and a different type and one plug which I assume is a combustion air feed blower or stoker fan (pardon the butchering of terms) I didn't have the right gaskets to replace everything and used a graphite braided rope on everything, The only thing I think missing is above the feed grate where the back of it has minor gaps against the plate on both side just above the grate there is no cement or gasket material. Shooting in the dark and totally ADD, hard to concentrate even when typing to be accurate on descriptions. Any help is much appreciated and willing to give phone number if needed. Thanks folks.. well, got it hooked up right but still need some help, coals not lighting after 10 minutes with propane burner facing down on it, are they that difficult to light? Coal has been in my garage for 6 months and felt damp when opened. What do you set the dial to? Feed dial, thanks again if anyone sees this.

Attachments

P1120142.JPG
.JPG | 281.7KB | P1120142.JPG
P1120144.JPG
.JPG | 291.6KB | P1120144.JPG
P1120145.JPG
.JPG | 438.8KB | P1120145.JPG
P1120146.JPG
.JPG | 371.1KB | P1120146.JPG

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Jan. 27, 2019 9:29 pm

To light it you need some broken up cowboy charcoal or wood pellets on the grate and light those with the propane torch. Then sprinkle a thin layer of coal on top and let it catch then sprinkle more coal on top and let it catch then turn on the coal feed and it should run by itself after that.

Make sure you have a couple CO monitors in the house too.

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Mon. Jan. 28, 2019 12:00 am

How I lite mine is I took an old metal coffee can cut both top and bottom off. cut a 1-2" notch in the bottom side of the can for the propane torch to stick through so it could be lite. Put a half inch hole near the top so you can stick a metal rod or fireplace poker into the side of the can so it can be removed once the fire is going. Place can on the stoker grate. Roll up some news paper and place in the bottom of the can, fill it with a couple inches of wood pellets, (broken twigs and sticks packed will work too and so will wood charcoal briquettes) then put an 1 - 2 inches of coal on top of it. Light the paper up with a propane torch. then turned the stoker on in about 4 or 5 minutes you'll have hard flames blazing through the coal out the top of the can. The feeder will push the coal down the grate to the back of the can. Put rod in the hole in top side of can and remove can. allowing the burning wood and coal to sit upon the coal that he feeder just feed. takes about 5 minutes or so.

there is a video on youtube that demonstrates this method.

kendm1

Post by kendm1 » Mon. Jan. 28, 2019 7:16 pm

Thanks for the tips guys, I do like the can idea and will give a try as I don't have the pellets or anything, I didtry some starter mini bricks that burn for about 15 minutes with no luck then held a propane torch to them for 20 minutes no luck, Im guessing the flame needs to be coming from underneath.. also, my combustion fan is making noise so guess its not 100%, wil have to order one asap, anyone know a reasonable place to get one?

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Mon. Jan. 28, 2019 7:25 pm

Your fan might just need oiling... Although a spare is nice to have on hand if needed. SAE 20w oil is the preferred (2 to 3 drops per year). I use 3in1 oil in the blue can made for electric motors

kendm1

Post by kendm1 » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 8:58 pm

Thanks nepacoal but my fan is nothing like that one, ordered a new one just in case.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 3:42 pm

Did you get it going?

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 5:43 pm

America holds it's collective breath!!

Pro Pain Tank is empty. I'm Hoping for the Best for this Gentleman with his back against The Wall!!

Sparks@59
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rightway model 37

Post by Sparks@59 » Thu. Jan. 31, 2019 2:13 pm

The top baffle has falling down inside the flue on my rightway mode 37. Does anyone know how I can get it out? Thanks B.sparks

kendm1

Post by kendm1 » Fri. Feb. 01, 2019 8:56 pm

Yes, sorry it took so long to get back but life does throw things at times! ;) SO this learning curve is finally over except a few things.. finally got it going by using a charcoal lighting cone of a sorts and put the torch beneath the coal but it still took 10 minutes.. thats after trying to do it without the cone for 30 minutes. I tried to attach pics but it keeps saying "aw snap, something went wrong displaying the web page" ? Anywho, flame is awesome, I went ahead and replaced all gaskets, while taking off the grate 2 of the bolt broke so only the top 2 are holding it, will have to fix this spring. Ordered a new combustion fan and some magnesium lighting blocks. Flame is side to side and about 2" in depth, only thing is it's pushing partially burned coal, rice coal, even at that it only burned 40 pounds in a day and a quarter.. this reading bagged stuff is wet so I layed it out real thin on landscape fabric and blew it as dry as possibly, still some moisture in the hopper but I think I can get that corrected strait way. Any idea why the coals arent burning fully? I turned it down to slow it down but want more heat. Thanks for the replies!

kendm1

Post by kendm1 » Thu. Feb. 14, 2019 12:08 am

Well, finally remembered to update, got everything going pretty good and thanks for everyone's input but going through about 80 pounds a day rice coal, seems high? Burning on number 3 and chute has almost all flame but if I turn it down much it doesn't put out much heat. . Baro stays swinging around an inch open, just got a manometer, need to check it, flame was riding too high with too much ash so cleaned/sanded the chute and taped the combustion half way, doing much better with a full burn and 2" of ash beneath the fire. Thanks to Alaska stoves, he was awesome and helped alot and quickly. Had to order a few things and figured I'd throw what I had at him. One thing I didn't like is the igniters he sold me are duds, they truly are defects I believe and will not fully start a fire without assistance, fused burn fast and hot but ignitors burn out, don't burn fully, won't relight with a torch. I can already see a buildup of ash through the baro, is it normal to build up fast? ABout an 1/8" thick already after about 350 pounds through it.

StanT

Post by StanT » Thu. Feb. 14, 2019 11:21 am

I use wood pellets to start my fire, some unburnt is because you cant shake the ash off larger pieses.

Good luck, Stant

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Feb. 14, 2019 12:34 pm

Wood pellets get way hotter than a propane torch and cost way less than them magnesium bombs...$6.00 40# bag of wood pellets will last a Lifetime of stove lighting. ;)

I'll pre-soak them in jar with tight screw cap in a tiny little bit of 70% rubbing alcohol or charcoal lighter fluid...always far away from the stove location...never store or handle any solvents or fuels anywhere near your stove location.

NEVER ATTEMPT THIS for a RE_LIGHT or RE_START...ONLY USE WITH A STONE COLD STOVE...one warm ember can cause a quick flash or worse...

StanT

Post by StanT » Fri. Feb. 15, 2019 7:22 am

I soak with lighter fluid or kerosene,, flash is not bad at all.

Stant

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Feb. 15, 2019 7:30 am

Self light charcoal---no muss--no fuss.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”