Last minute help needed please..

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Fri. Feb. 15, 2019 9:23 am

Thanx For Providing Updates,Ken! Those of Us that have been here for a few minutes have become accustomed to what I call"New Guy Panic Posts" with a general "One And Done"Mentality! You have been one of the few of those Folks who have shown otherwise! For that,I Thank You! The Fine Folks here are weird! They'll bend over backwards to help You,without asking for anything in return but You Life Safety and Success at staying warm.
Keep Learning,Keep Improving and Keep You and Yours Warm!!

kendm1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Channing 2
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by kendm1 » Mon. Feb. 08, 2021 5:41 pm

Thanks Bob, talk about slow replies (From me) I had to take a full year off, maybe it's been 2, I heated for one year with great success but then lost 2 best friends and my mom and was dealing with a lot, then to top that off in the last year lost 6 people, wife was on a vent with covid for a month, died once but is healing. I am now back on track to use the coal stove and got it going fine but noticed it doesn't seem to be putting out much heat, outer shell not getting very hot at all but fire is excellent? Main door seal fell apart so its not on right now, could that be affecting it? Also, noticed quite a bit of rust flaking prior to reuse on the the interior. I really appreciate the help I received and hate to say, it's one of the few helpful places around anymore it seems, that goes for everything unfortunately. Hope all is well.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Feb. 08, 2021 10:50 pm

Christ,You've Literally Had The Living *censored* Kicked Out Of You,Ken! Yeah,it's been two years,so chances are very good that you shut your stove down at the end of 2019,and then left it without any cleaning,lubing and corrosion control against Summer Humidity and whatnot.
Let's just restart the whole process over in a calmer time. Is your ProPain Tank at a good fill level? Make sure it is so that you can bring this stove back to Life in a calm,no panic nor pressure manner. You can start by finding the manufacturer's plate or tag and sending a photo of it. Next,open her up and take some snaps of inside conditions after you've cleaned out all the old ash and rust clutter. These Guys are willing to help.

kendm1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Channing 2
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by kendm1 » Tue. Feb. 09, 2021 4:17 pm

Much appreciated Bob, you have no idea but yeah, bruised and battered.. pro-pain is full enough for a month or so but I have a ton of time on my hands so what I'm thinking is it sounds like a start over and do everything I did last time.. the 2 vent hole looking things at the back of the unit near look like they have a good amount of ash in them so cleaning them out good will be needed, is there a good way to do that to be sure it's all out? I don't mind working in the cold. The brick in the back up near the same area felt seized in pace but was new when I bought it, I replaced it.. does it need to slide back and forth? Anyhoo, i'll get a photo this evening after shut down or tomorrow and send a pic of all, thanks!

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Tue. Feb. 09, 2021 9:35 pm

If no gasket on load door, you're getting ton of over fire air preventing heat gain. Shut it down and get gasket on it and do your thorough cleaning before you start up again. If you have other heat take your time and do it right. :yes:

Brandt

CoalKracker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 3
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 460
Baseburners & Antiques: Pittston Stove Co. Magnet No.2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite rice (reading coal co)

Post by CoalKracker » Fri. Feb. 12, 2021 1:01 pm

On my channing im currently using about 2 coal buckets a day (aprox 40-45 pounds i would say) and i dont go much past halfway down my grate with the lit coal. I have my stove in my finished lower level and with these very cold days/nights keep it around 80 degrees in that room. Natural draft brings the heat up my open staircase and heats mt upper level. I noticed in your first post that the stove didnt have a top on it. Do you have one on there now? That top is necessary to get max heat from your stove.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”