Alaska Channing Hopper Motor Paddle REPAIR!

430Lloyd
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by 430Lloyd » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 9:20 pm

Hey folks I know it list me as a new member, but I used to be Lloyd430, lost a email Blah Blah Blah- but I thought someone might be able to use this CHEAP fix. We are in the midst of a Blizzard in CNY and Monday is a holiday, and of course me feed motor quit last night! I do have fuel oil as a back up but that this is too expensive to run! I called 1/2 dozen places and no one has one in stock!!! :o 2-3 weeks backordered from Alaska Co.!! My stove I bought used and have used it for 6 seasons without a problem, I am not sure of the age of it but it is an awesome stove!

So I got home tonight from work and figured what the heck do I have to loose! The motor still works but the output shaft stopped. SO I started taking it apart. After removing the blower, the motor assembly, I was finally able to get at the motor. I took apart the gear box and there was the culprit! the gear next to the out put shaft was worn loose on its shaft. So I took off the output gear and the one in question, sure enough the shaft the 2nd to the last gear rides on was almost 30 thousands of and inch out of round! This is were the MacGyver in me comes out! I was able to pull the shaft out with pliers, I measured the unworn side and it was a perfect .125" All I need is a Hardened 1/8" Shaft............I cut a piece of 1/8" DRILL BIT perfect fit! Filled the box full of grease and put it all back together! It now runs very quiet! Just used the electric charcoal lighter to light it and I have Coal heat again! I know the is a repair and not a fix, I know I will need to buy another $160 motor but its working now!
1st pic of worn shaft
last pic is the new shaft in place!

Attachments

wornshaft.jpg
.JPG | 64.3KB | wornshaft.jpg
open case.JPG
.JPG | 73.2KB | open case.JPG
closed case.JPG
.JPG | 61.9KB | closed case.JPG
opening case.JPG
.JPG | 74.6KB | opening case.JPG
old shaft gear.JPG
.JPG | 71.4KB | old shaft gear.JPG
new shaft in.JPG
.JPG | 74.8KB | new shaft in.JPG

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40

Post by BostonBob » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 9:41 pm

Very nice !!!! Wish I had that kind of luck ! Mine was the gear teeth broke

430Lloyd

Post by 430Lloyd » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 10:08 pm

One of the guys told me on the phone today they had plastic gears in them- must be he had never seen the inside of one! Been reliable but I don't like the design- needs a shear pin!

BostonBob

Post by BostonBob » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 7:13 am

Some kind of safety for the gears would be nice, If I knew then what I know now I wouldn’t have bought it without a safety system in place !

BostonBob

Post by BostonBob » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 7:14 am

430Lloyd wrote:
Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 10:08 pm
One of the guys told me on the phone today they had plastic gears in them- must be he had never seen the inside of one! Been reliable but I don't like the design- needs a shear pin!
. How did you make out about a replacement motor from Alaska?????

Mountain Mike
Stoker Coal Boiler: Channing 1

Post by Mountain Mike » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 11:11 am

There is an ace hardware in jonestown PA that has an eBay store that sells Alaska parts. I was in the same boat this past Thanksgiving, local dealer had a 3 week lead time, found a feeder motor on their ebay store for 160. Had it in 3 days.

BostonBob

Post by BostonBob » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 4:20 pm

Mountain Mike wrote:
Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 11:11 am
There is an ace hardware in jonestown PA that has an eBay store that sells Alaska parts. I was in the same boat this past Thanksgiving, local dealer had a 3 week lead time, found a feeder motor on their ebay store for 160. Had it in 3 days.
Hi Mike, bought 1 from Alaska it was a new design from a new manufacturer, lasted 4 days, Alaska sent me a new old motor/gearbox, I sent the new motor gearbox back to the manufacturer for them to find out why it only lasted 4 days, hopefully they will send it back fixed for a spare !!!

430Lloyd

Post by 430Lloyd » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 7:37 pm

The Ace hardware in PA, I have to call back- 2-3 week back order as well. The repair is still going strong. I was half hearted looking into a linear actuator- the paddle doesn’t actually go all the way around- it only moves 180 degrees back and forth.

430Lloyd

Post by 430Lloyd » Sat. Jan. 26, 2019 9:47 am

On Tuesday Jono Ace Hardware called me and said they got paddle motors in! Have they my credit card and today my new paddle motor arrived! Now I don’t know weather to install the new one- or keep it as a backup and let my repair go for it life! Either way it’s not a bad situation to be in- for once!

BostonBob

Post by BostonBob » Sat. Jan. 26, 2019 6:21 pm

:clap:
430Lloyd wrote:
Sat. Jan. 26, 2019 9:47 am
On Tuesday Jono Ace Hardware called me and said they got paddle motors in! Have they my credit card and today my new paddle motor arrived! Now I don’t know weather to install the new one- or keep it as a backup and let my repair go for it life! Either way it’s not a bad situation to be in- for once!
Outstanding!!!!!! I’m still waiting for my “backup” motor and gearbox 😁. I think I would just run the repaired paddle motor till it dies as long as you have a new spare your golden

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. Jan. 26, 2019 7:31 pm

is this a triburner style alaska stoker?

if it is i used a dayton gear motor that is available online for around 60 dollars and a 10 dollar 50 cfm bathroom vent fan for combustion air.
the motor is a dayton 3M095.

Mountain Mike

Post by Mountain Mike » Wed. Oct. 18, 2023 6:55 am

lincolnmania wrote:
Sat. Jan. 26, 2019 7:31 pm
is this a triburner style alaska stoker?

if it is i used a dayton gear motor that is available online for around 60 dollars and a 10 dollar 50 cfm bathroom vent fan for combustion air.
the motor is a dayton 3M095.
I know this is an old post, but I would love a cheaper way to get a gear motor. How did you attach the threaded block to that output shaft?

lincolnmania
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Oct. 19, 2023 1:09 am

Mountain Mike wrote:
Wed. Oct. 18, 2023 6:55 am
I know this is an old post, but I would love a cheaper way to get a gear motor. How did you attach the threaded block to that output shaft?
I welded a washer to a steel lock collar the size of the dayton 1 rpm gear motor shaft. made a new rod. it worked well and lasted until the stove rusted out.
as far as the fan side of the stoker motor I used a 50 cfm broan bathroom fan so it would blow air into the stoker.

Mountain Mike

Post by Mountain Mike » Thu. Oct. 19, 2023 9:27 am

Thanks, very creative. I found gear shaft arbors online that have threaded shafts. Just slide the arbor on to the output shaft, tighten the set screws, and now you have a threaded shaft for the block.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Oct. 19, 2023 11:10 am

Mountain Mike wrote:
Thu. Oct. 19, 2023 9:27 am
Thanks, very creative. I found gear shaft arbors online that have threaded shafts. Just slide the arbor on to the output shaft, tighten the set screws, and now you have a threaded shaft for the block.
the factory motors for the alaska stove I had came with threaded shafts. the aftermarket gear motor does not have a threaded shaft. that is why i had to come up with a collar with and allen set screw. User Matthaus came up with some good stoker linkage years ago. He owns Leisure Line now. many yrs ago he came to my shop and helped me with my stoves.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”