non electric stoker question

leward
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM520
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hitzer 50-93 at camp
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354 double door woodburner

Post by leward » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 1:13 pm

Hello All:
Have an off grid camp that I am planning on expanding and have some heat questions. No experience with stoker stoves, I'm a boiler user.
The existing stove is wood, and burn times aren't long enough for overnight without tending. Add in a need for additional heat when we make the cabin bigger, I was looking at Hitzers 30-95 and 50-95, and the Alaska Kodiak.
Any of these should supply enough btu's once rolling to keep us toasty.
I question how long is it going to take to get rolling? Not uncommon to walk into a zero degree cabin, and don't want it to take hours. I thought a bought basically using a whole bag of matchlight to get things moving quicker, rather than incrementally getting a bed of coals to get going.
One of the few advantages of wood is the ability to have a roaring blaze going pretty quick. Love coal, just a slower route to a bunch of heat.
What can you folks advise?

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 2:15 pm

I would build a blazing wood fire in the hand fed coal stove for a quick hot fire then add layers of coal to transition for the long burn times while still adding wood to keep the heat output up until the cabin was warmed up.

leward

Post by leward » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 3:19 pm

Is that possible in the Hitzer or Alaskan? Somehow I was under the impression those were pretty much stove coal only?

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 4:00 pm

The three models you mentioned are all hand fed stoves which can burn wood, although not as efficiently as a wood stove, giving you a quick fire that you can keep adding coal and wood to until the temps stabilize.

Each can burn pea, nut or stove sized coal depending on the draft your chimney/stove set up can pull through the firebed.

It threw me off a little when you used the term stoker which is usually used for hopper or auger fed stoves that use a combustion blower and some controls for feeding, ashing, etc. but had hand fed stoves listed.

leward

Post by leward » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 8:18 pm

now I'm confused ? the stoves (Hitzers 30-95 and 50-95, and the Alaska Kodiak) are hopper fed - maybe not what everyone ( or anyone) would call a stoker, but really aren't hand fed either, other than filling the hopper. Simply did not realize you can build a large wood fire in them. I see where folks talk about removing the "bin" that holds cola to use wood? Simply trying to see if these stoves would fit the non-electric need and not need fed every 4-6 hours - but would throw pretty quick heat

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 9:06 pm

DSM has a very nice sized non electric hopper fed stove also...
Not as pretty but sure puts the heat out...
Model #2100 WH
https://dsofpa.com/retail/furnaces/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&s ... ad27mqNVtt

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 10:34 pm

leward wrote:
Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 1:13 pm
Hello All:
Have an off grid camp that I am planning on expanding and have some heat questions. No experience with stoker stoves, I'm a boiler user.
The existing stove is wood, and burn times aren't long enough for overnight without tending. Add in a need for additional heat when we make the cabin bigger, I was looking at Hitzers 30-95 and 50-95, and the Alaska Kodiak.
Any of these should supply enough btu's once rolling to keep us toasty.
I question how long is it going to take to get rolling? Not uncommon to walk into a zero degree cabin, and don't want it to take hours. I thought a bought basically using a whole bag of matchlight to get things moving quicker, rather than incrementally getting a bed of coals to get going.
One of the few advantages of wood is the ability to have a roaring blaze going pretty quick. Love coal, just a slower route to a bunch of heat.
What can you folks advise?
Sometimes one has to just learn to wait a tiny bit more in order to enjoy some of the better comforts in life. :annoyed:

rodhotter
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmaan MK I
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by rodhotter » Thu. Feb. 28, 2019 8:20 pm

D+S has a nice selection to fit any need. never heard of them but not too far away in my home state. might have opted for one of their fine looking coal-wood stoves had i known. optional hot water in some is a plus for sure

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”