Cleaning inside of door glass while running?

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Jan. 19, 2019 8:18 pm

I miss having glass to look thru and understand completely. Many people dont care if they see the fire. Im glad the steel wool worked for you. it wont scratch the glass. I used to have a side door on a stove I used and maybe every third day I opened that door and had steel wool attached to a rod and ran it across my window to keep it real clean.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 4:08 pm

The scouring of the stoker raises hell with the ceramic surface.

darnskewered
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice Coal

Post by darnskewered » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 6:31 pm

2001Sierra wrote:
Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 4:08 pm
The scouring of the stoker raises hell with the ceramic surface.
Can you elaborate?

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 9:47 pm

I picked up this tip in another thread. Wait until you have a relatively low fire -- i.e., not on the coldest day of the winter. ;) Open the loading door for a while and let the glass cool. (Close air intakes so all the chimney draft will be sucking on the load door and less likely to leak any fumes.) I use my wife's hair dryer on its no-heat setting to blow on the glass and cool it quicker. Then use a damp cloth. As others have pointed out, water won't shatter the glass. However, cooling it will prevent burning up the paper towels or cloth you use to clean it, which just leaves its own soot.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 10:10 pm

darnskewered wrote:
Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 6:31 pm
Can you elaborate?
The combustion blowers have the stokers run more like a blast furnace than hand fed/hopper feds run more like a camp fire.

RFK
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF-250
Coal Size/Type: Rice or Stove Anthracite Coal
Other Heating: Baseboard Electric

Post by RFK » Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 10:45 pm

What Sierra said. The combustion air coming up through the coal bed shoots fly ash and other very small particulate matter against the window glass eventually etching it especially along the narrower edges of the glass, less so in the middle area. Eventually the glass will take on a frosted look that can't be cleaned off with any conventional method. I replaced my glass this fall and only started up on Nov 28th. See picture on first page of this post. You can already see the etching beginning along the vertical edges. What you cleaned off was just soot from you aborted start up fires. In time you will see what we mean. Cleaning had fed stove glass and wood stove glass is relatively easy. Not so much with stokers as they age.
Rick

darnskewered
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice Coal

Post by darnskewered » Mon. Jan. 21, 2019 8:47 am

RFK wrote:
Sun. Jan. 20, 2019 10:45 pm
What Sierra said. The combustion air coming up through the coal bed shoots fly ash and other very small particulate matter against the window glass eventually etching it especially along the narrower edges of the glass, less so in the middle area. Eventually the glass will take on a frosted look that can't be cleaned off with any conventional method. I replaced my glass this fall and only started up on Nov 28th. See picture on first page of this post. You can already see the etching beginning along the vertical edges. What you cleaned off was just soot from you aborted start up fires. In time you will see what we mean. Cleaning had fed stove glass and wood stove glass is relatively easy. Not so much with stokers as they age.
Rick
I actually just replaced this glass so I know what an old glass window looks like on these. I replaced it because it was cracked, not because it was cloudy. But even with the cloudy old glass I was able to see the flames. I don't care much about it getting cloudy some, but it is nice to have a method for getting extra soot off.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”