combustion fan life at 100% on/harmon magnum

rookiecoalburner2
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: harmon magnum stoker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by rookiecoalburner2 » Sun. Jan. 06, 2019 9:47 am

ive decided to try the "running combustion motor 100% of the time" thing. im trying to burn up most of the coal so there is not a bunch of coal in ash pan..i see lots of guys run thier combustion motors 24/7.. i tried this last nite.. ashes look good,a few small pieces of coal in ash pan. but not like before.i plan on keeping combustion motor on 24/7 from here on out... motor is not hot to the touch. i can hold it in my hand for ever.. i have it plugged into a 110v source...my biggest question on doing this is,how long will the motor last running it 24/7..should i buy and have a spare handy?

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BostonBob » Sun. Jan. 06, 2019 10:34 am

I have an Alaska Gnome 40 since 2011 (new) and the motor still works great ! It runs 24/7 while the stove is burning. (I do take it out and clean it and lube it as needed)

BostonBob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman DVC500,Alaska Gnome 40

Post by BostonBob » Sun. Jan. 06, 2019 10:38 am

New here too. Welcome Rookie ! Spare parts just eliminate down time ! They are good to have !

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Jan. 06, 2019 10:41 am

It may last longer running continuously than starting and stopping it.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Sun. Jan. 06, 2019 12:19 pm

I've had my Keystoker 15 years and never replaced combustion blower, it runs 100% 24/7 usually from Nov. till April. depending.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sun. Jan. 06, 2019 12:34 pm

Running air all of the time to make the ash look better generally works against overall efficiency. You might burn a little more of the coal, but you are blowing cool air through dead ash, cooling the combustion chamber, pushing heat up the flue, and slowing the ability of the unit to respond when there is a call for heat. Your best efficiency comes when you have the feed and air set so after a long run there is a 1-2" band of ash at the end of the grate, and no burning coals falling into the ash pan. If that produces some black in the ash, so be it.

Mike

RFK
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF-250
Coal Size/Type: Rice or Stove Anthracite Coal
Other Heating: Baseboard Electric

Post by RFK » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 6:20 pm

Pacowy wrote:
Sun. Jan. 06, 2019 12:34 pm
Running air all of the time to make the ash look better generally works against overall efficiency. You might burn a little more of the coal, but you are blowing cool air through dead ash, cooling the combustion chamber, pushing heat up the flue, and slowing the ability of the unit to respond when there is a call for heat. Your best efficiency comes when you have the feed and air set so after a long run there is a 1-2" band of ash at the end of the grate, and no burning coals falling into the ash pan. If that produces some black in the ash, so be it.

Mike
With all the recent talk about speed control and running the combustion blower full time I'm leaning toward what Mike said above.
Rick

jimbo970

Post by jimbo970 » Fri. Jan. 18, 2019 7:42 pm

I have to agree aswell, when I put the combo on the "control box" and it only runs while feed is on the entire coal grates are fired up and stove reaches hot temps 450-500ish varies. When 24\7 there seems to only be a hz 2" line of red hot coals across the grate and often it cools over all stove temps down leading to possible co2 leak

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”