2nd season for coal....coal is melting together...help

rookiecoalburner2
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: harmon magnum stoker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by rookiecoalburner2 » Tue. Dec. 25, 2018 9:14 am

ive not had too many issues untill now..same coal supplier as last year... im having trouble with unit on full burn the coal in the burn line gets "melted "together.causing no air up through it and no heat/flames.if i stir it up with poker flames come back...in a half hour its back to coal melted together again. when unit goes on pilot at old settings fire goes out...ive tried new pilot settings,feed settings,and combustion flapper settings..nothing seems to be helping...i need some direction... whats wrong..manometer readings above unit in pipe.03-.04??????

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Dec. 25, 2018 9:56 am

Changing settings...only change one at a time and wait at least an hour to see what results.

Getting to burn not so hot is best chance to stop fusion of ash/coal..

rookiecoalburner2
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: harmon magnum stoker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by rookiecoalburner2 » Tue. Dec. 25, 2018 11:58 am

saw elsewhere on web that having too much air or combustion plate open too far can create the melted of fused coal...i had combustion plate wide open...closed plate to 1/2 open...also had feeder at 1.5 dots..opened it up to 2 dots....nice blue/orange flames whicking at top of firebox now..went through several pilot cycles at 5 on 13 off and is working fine now...praying it continues...

Dave 1234
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1948 International boiler, EFM S-20 stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buck,

Post by Dave 1234 » Tue. Dec. 25, 2018 3:38 pm

A bad batch of coal is a huge PITA !

Get a few bags of Blaschak or Lehigh coal. ...... Struggling with bad coal is not cool this time of year.

Good luck !

Dave

dcveem3
Stoker Coal Boiler: Someday!
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum (temp basement duty)
Other Heating: Propane/Heat Pump

Post by dcveem3 » Tue. Dec. 25, 2018 6:31 pm

rookiecoalburner2 wrote:
Tue. Dec. 25, 2018 11:58 am
saw elsewhere on web that having too much air or combustion plate open too far can create the melted of fused coal...i had combustion plate wide open...closed plate to 1/2 open...also had feeder at 1.5 dots..opened it up to 2 dots....nice blue/orange flames whicking at top of firebox now..went through several pilot cycles at 5 on 13 off and is working fine now...praying it continues...
I'm a noob myself, but from my limited experience that sounds about right....I was closer to 10 off when I was working off a tstat. Keep the fire towards the front...an inch of ash is all you want.

Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”