Harmen Super Magnum - Issues with Feeder

Jezorski
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harmen Super Magnum

Post by Jezorski » Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 4:57 pm

Just purchased a USED Harmen Super Magnum that was super nice looking and owner said he hasn't used in 4 years. He said nothing wrong with it, just couldn't lift coal anymore.

Looked nice - and seemed to be a nice honest guy.

Installed in my house today - all ready to light this and get warm. Plugged it in and couldn't get the feeder to push forward coal. Took coal out - cleaned everything thing in the feeder area - put back together and getting 4 flashing lights on feeder status.

Stove in Room Temp Mode - and the feeder only works in TEST Mode.

Tried to use all combos of where the stitches should be and getting nothing. - Manual doesn't give me much.

Should I call out a dealer to plug in to the stove or is there any suggestions on how to get the stove working?

Jennifer

dcveem3
Stoker Coal Boiler: Someday!
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum (temp basement duty)
Other Heating: Propane/Heat Pump

Post by dcveem3 » Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 7:39 pm

I do not know much about that model/controller. Pretty sure from what I've read 4 flashing lights is an issue with the room sensing probe. Have you tried, without lighting a fire, stove temp mode? Place the selector in Stove Temp Mode and put the dial on 7..it's highest and see if the feeder starts to push/function. I wouldn't put any coal in the stove until you know combustion blower and feeder are working.

These folks in here are sharp...they'll help you. I'm trying but do not have that model stove. Just a Harman Magnum.

Don

Jezorski

Post by Jezorski » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 7:59 am

Thanks Don we will give it a try

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 9:14 am

Welcome to the forum! :yes:

Like dcveem i have the older style mag stoker so I am not familiar with that controller. Others here are familiar with it and will check in with suggestions I am sure.

As Don suggested I would take the coal out and see if the mechanical movement is free or stuck from being in storage. Fly ash and coal fines and moisture can be a good cement in unintended places.

Jezorski

Post by Jezorski » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 10:28 am

We cleaned this out and the last owner did not clean well before we got it. We were able to make sure that this moves freely now and we still are not able to get the feeder to work outside of test mode.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 10:38 am

Thermostat needed or else add a jumper for always on...Test mode fakes a jumper temporarily.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 6:40 pm

Not so different from the DVC. In my experience they work better in stove mode anyway. I have 10 years in stove mode and no problem. I guess every application is different but in temp sensing mode the stove was very erratic particularly in the shoulder seasons.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Sun. Jan. 13, 2019 11:32 am

coalnewbie wrote:
Mon. Dec. 24, 2018 6:40 pm
Not so different from the DVC. In my experience they work better in stove mode anyway. I have 10 years in stove mode and no problem. I guess every application is different but in temp sensing mode the stove was very erratic particularly in the shoulder seasons.
I've been burning the Super Mag now since it was new for 7 yrs or so in Room Temp mode with not one issue. Oct 31 I start and it run's until April here in Nothern NH. Get's 40 below zero a few times plus below zero most nights. Keeps the living area within a degree or two 24/7. Feed rate 2.5 Probe wire was extended 20 ft to meet the living room from the basement were the stove is at.
In shoulder seasons the same. Idles down so nice during the day but being in the mountains temps drop fast when the sun goes down and stove is right there to pick up. I wish I had this stove back in 1981 When were started burning with a Chubby. This stove puts the Chubby to shame.

mastiffdude
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: ,Harman supermagnum stoker
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: small cannon heater,1910
Baseburners & Antiques: Quick Time #5,1897
Coal Size/Type: rice,stove,nut

Post by mastiffdude » Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 5:11 pm

I had feed problems with my supermagnum stoker and i traced it to a bad potentiometer,(thats the thing you dial ).They do go bad over time. You can buy them on ebay and if you can solder you could replace all thee yourself for maybe 20 bucks.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Jan. 17, 2019 1:54 pm

good to know. I always have WD 40'd mine from behind and in front. WD is a miracle juice for switches. I've got a thousand stories from 1988 that can back that up.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”