Harman DVC 500 - Feed rate knob is glitchy, stuck at minimal feed rate now

dlew56
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Harman DVC 500

Post by dlew56 » Thu. Dec. 20, 2018 9:08 am

Hi,

Our stove (from 2006) has been working all right this season until early this week.

On Sunday, I turned the feed rate knob in 'Ash Out' to empty the ash. When I returned I turned it to 1 or 2, and the stove didn't register the knob had been turned - it still behaved like it was in Ash Out - no combustion fan. So I'm turning the knob all around and the combustion fan isn't starting, unless its put on 'Test', which still works.

Eventually with enough finagling, the stove realized it was no longer in Ash Out and behaves like its stuck at 1, the lowest feed setting, since the thermostat is maxed out and the stove churns 10-12 times each cycle, but not much coal is being moved per churn. The manual says the feed knob doesn't affect how many churns per cycle but rather how much coal is pushed per churn and it is minimal now.

The weeks preceding this, the knob was getting a little finicky, where certain spots while turning it between 1 - 6 would switch to Ash Out behavior, like it was glitchy. But now it's really bad.

My guess is the knob contact needs cleaned out or something (or the whole control panel replaced) but I thought I'd check if others have run into this before but I shut down the stove and bear the cold. :)

Thanks,
David

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”