Resealing an Alaska Channing?

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 12:32 pm

I haven't had a stoker so a coal stoker is new to me. I bought a used excellent condition Alaska Channing II stoker for my garage. Im putting it in an all steel building that's sorta decently insulated. Doors suck - they are the roll up kind like at storage units. I lean panels of insulation against them to 'help keep out the cold.' Yesterday I finished the install of a stainless through the wall chimney system. Anyway. I bought all the pieces including new door glass directly from Alaska.
Ive read many a post here and I've gotten a lot info. I've also read about issues after servicing.
Is there any 'make sure you "do this" and make sure you "don't do this" recommendations. Not trying to cut corners but want to make sure I get this thing right the first time. Its going inside my garage, it will be unmaned and no one to check on it every few hours. It did come with a baro and I have a Dwyer manometer that will be installed.
Your help is definitely appreciated.

Attachments

IMG_7004.PNG

Unit in its home spot day I brought it home. It's sitting between 2 roll up garage doors.

.PNG | 1.1MB | IMG_7004.PNG

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 3:03 pm

When you say a thru the wall chimney system, does that include a Power Venter?

Paulie

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 9:02 pm

No power vent. Straight out bottom @ 18" into a 90 then into the baro T then straight up 8 feet into a 45, then 2 feet into another 45 which connects directly to the thru the wall pipe. And the double wall metal asbestos goes up the outside of the garage another 8'.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 10:35 pm

Spacecadet wrote:
Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 9:02 pm
No power vent. Straight out bottom @ 18" into a 90 then into the baro T then straight up 8 feet into a 45, then 2 feet into another 45 which connects directly to the thru the wall pipe. And the double wall metal asbestos goes up the outside of the garage another 8'.
Sounds like you are all set to go. :D

Paulie

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”