Extra heat using stoker

Squid3083
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Squid3083 » Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 1:50 am

2001Sierra wrote:
Sun. Feb. 03, 2019 10:29 pm
My major concern would be if the wood is put too far back, it may force flames against the back wall where the new coal enters. I would be concerned with the flames being forced against the stove opening where the hopper meets the stoker grate, which in normal opeartion is not exposed to flame just heat.
Excellent point I did burn some small 2x4 pieces and would push them to the back a bit so that they would have time to burn but considering this risk, have to be carefull not to put the coal in the back on fire. Conclusion for the little heat and gain plus creosote and smoke added to the stove will scrap the rest of the wood !!!

robb

Post by robb » Mon. Feb. 11, 2019 5:10 pm

I am coming in on the back-end of this but, I asked a stove manufacturer about this video...he said his main concern, much the same as 2001SIERRA, is the wood getting flames into the coal box and getting hot enough to ignite the coal if unchecked....I have a register fan that draws heat up to my bedroom (master bedroom and BR is only thing up there) then I use ceiling fans to help circulate the heat through the house....I say better circulate the heat you have....

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 12:46 am

Well, Has anyone tried this yet? There's got to be at least ONE ! Yup at least one... I tried this with a small piece of wood 3" triangle. It didn't work to easy. Vibration of the motors/fans on the stove caused the wood to slide off the grate into the ash pan. Tried it again, This time it seemed to work. It bumped the stove box temp 50-75 degrees. Made sure I didn't put it back too far. The air blowing through the coal acted like a blow torch making the flames furiously burn the wood. The flames seemed a little to much on the fresh coal sliding onto the grate. So, I wont be trying that again...

leoman584

Post by leoman584 » Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 11:53 am

I've seen this video and I think the guy is insane for doing this. If you want to burn wood get a wood burner. I'm not going to risk burning my house down to save a few bucks

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Feb. 13, 2019 11:57 am

i wonder if a stoker stove could be used to burn wood in a shtf situation. obviously not a bottom vent stove.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”