Keystoker Hearth 60 Keeps Going Out

mailman

Post by mailman » Thu. Nov. 29, 2018 5:55 am

i have a keystoker hearth 60, over the summer did my usual maintenance - cleaned out fines removed and re-sealed the cement on the sides, and just put a new combustion motor on. first time i started it up this year, it was a blazing 85 deg downstairs and 71 up (split level). and then the coal slid down (fire out), so then i went to start it, and now i get the fire lit and eventually burns out after about 30 mins, the flame when coal is burning is only about 1-2 inches. an help would be appreciated. thanks, mailman
Last edited by Richard S. on Sat. Dec. 01, 2018 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title, please use appropriate titles. Thanks.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Nov. 29, 2018 8:16 am

Depending on if that uses a oil burner blower like the KA's and where you got the blower, the motor may be running in reverse...for KA's it has been reported here before.
Easy fix to reverse internal wiring connections if this is simular.

Without a KA stoker then you would have stoker type with nylon...plastic cam and guide bolts that overheat and melt and cause loss in performace...they will need replaced.

mailman

Post by mailman » Thu. Nov. 29, 2018 11:26 am

The pushbar was replaced last winter, gets enough coal.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Nov. 30, 2018 8:42 am

Welcome to the forum,

I don't think everyone knows what a Keystoker Hearth 60 is, stoker wise anyway. The point made above is that you just replaced the combustion blower. It is possible that the new combustion blower is running backwards.

The combustion blower running back wards would provide enough air to allow you to get the fire going pretty well. But, not enough to maintain a fire allowing it to go out quickly, just like you described.

Check and see if the new combustion blower is running the correct direction. If it is, then we can move on.

-Don

mailman

Post by mailman » Fri. Nov. 30, 2018 3:44 pm

I’ll check when I get home, will post about 530pm ty

mailman

Post by mailman » Fri. Nov. 30, 2018 5:17 pm

The fan is spinning clockwise

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Nov. 30, 2018 8:31 pm

Is that the same way the old one was spinning?

-Don

mailman

Post by mailman » Fri. Nov. 30, 2018 8:38 pm

yes, replaced same way as old one was

StokerDon
Site Moderator

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Nov. 30, 2018 8:47 pm

mailman wrote:
Fri. Nov. 30, 2018 8:38 pm
yes, replaced same way as old one was
Well, that's not really the same thing, but we will move to the next part.

When you say it goes out after about 30 minutes, is it pushing the fire off the grate, or is it burning all the coal to ash on the grate?

-Don

mailman

Post by mailman » Sat. Dec. 01, 2018 5:04 am

On grate, very little ash

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Dec. 01, 2018 7:17 am

if it fills up with fire on the grate and then goes out after a while, sounds like it's not feeding properly. it's just burning up whats on the grate and not feeding new coal to maintain the fire.
is it pushing anything off the grate? make sure the stoker motor is moving and pushing properly.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Dec. 01, 2018 7:42 pm

WNY wrote:
Sat. Dec. 01, 2018 7:17 am
if it fills up with fire on the grate and then goes out after a while, sounds like it's not feeding properly. it's just burning up whats on the grate and not feeding new coal to maintain the fire.
is it pushing anything off the grate? make sure the stoker motor is moving and pushing properly.
x2

And to clarify something mentioned earlier...melted plastic cam is a common cause of little or no new coal being pushed onto the grates to replace with an amount of new coal equal to the ash being pushed off.

Short stroke means short on coal.

mailman

Post by mailman » Sun. Dec. 02, 2018 11:32 am

ok i tried something and with the help of my wonderful wife, my combustion motor does not have a shutter for the fan, is it supposed to have one? the motor model # is 1tdn4a. i covered the opening where fan blades are half way and my wife said more air coming through. i'm hoping this is the problem.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Dec. 02, 2018 5:14 pm

a lot of the stoves to have inlet covers on the combustion blowers, some do not. if it works, great!! as McGiever said, the cam is nylon and tends to melt if you have back burn on the grates, safety feature, if it still acts up and doesn't look like its pushing coal, something in the stoker mechanism is not correct.

My keystoker does have a cover about 1/2 closed. My Leisure line doesn't have any cover on the blowers.

mailman

Post by mailman » Sun. Dec. 02, 2018 6:13 pm

So, a friend stopped over to visit, asked what I was doing, told him, after 5 mins of poking around, he said you you’re losing air. Some cement and problem solved. Ty you for all your help and ideas

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”