Barometric damper power vent

Paul k
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alaska model 140
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Paul k » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 7:52 pm

Hello,

First year with coal stove, never had one and know little about them except for a month of burning and what I read on this forum. I have an Alaska model 140 which is an auto feeding rice coal stoker. I had it installed and am wondering if my barometric dampener is set to the correct settings. It seems to be set to 2 1/2 when instructions call for 4 although I really have no idea that’s why I attached pictures.. this is a power vent system and coal stove is located in basement in two story house.

My question is from the pictures does it seem like it is correct? What happens if I move the barometric dampener to say 8? I don’t fully understand what it does.. I will continue reading other posts and searching the web...

Also, I do have 3 carbon monoxide detectors on each floor hooked up to the alarm system. Also have 1 battery operated one that came with stove in basement. Also have 1 digital one in basement next to stove that is reading 0.

Thanks for help and if I missed anything please let me know and can fill in further details

Paul K

Attachments

057AB30F-239E-4665-9DA2-17541A19C69D.jpeg
.JPEG | 606KB | 057AB30F-239E-4665-9DA2-17541A19C69D.jpeg

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 8:15 pm

Welcome.!
the setting on it are only approx, that would be probably be INCHES of WATER, which is what a draft gauge would measure.
the higher the number, the higher the draft would be to open it. so 2 would be .02, 8 would be .08 (inches of H20) draft measurement. it adds more weight so it needs more draft to open. most stoves run between .02-.04 draft. which would be 2-4 setting.

you need a Manometer / Draft Gauge (good thread on here for them, search on Manometer install) to set it correctly. without a draft gauge, you can't set it accurately.
Last edited by WNY on Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WNY

Post by WNY » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 8:22 pm

good video on setting up a draft gauge/baro damper. Most stoves run around . 02-.04

Paul k
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alaska model 140

Post by Paul k » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 8:56 pm

Thanks for quick reply’s..

I ordered a manometer off amazon should be here in 2 days. Watched video, definitely understanding a little bit more, I still have to check other post out on reading the meter...

What happens if the barometric damper is set wrong? Does the fire just go out or does it just take more coal to provide the same amount of heat or does it release deadly gas!?

WNY

Post by WNY » Thu. Nov. 29, 2018 8:28 pm

you will either have more draft on the stove higher number on weight (baro NOT open) and loose some heat up the chimney or if it's open more, less draft, possible CO leaking and fumes build up in the stove since it is drafting more air from room and not the stove.

It won't affect the fire going out. thats set with you idle/feed control

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”