What Brand of Stoker Stove Is Best

EnergyManager

Post by EnergyManager » Wed. Jan. 28, 2009 12:59 pm

Being born into an Anthracite coal family, I have seen coal time boom and fall. We had mines, a breaker, and a washery. My extended family had many stoker boilers, EFM (Emmaus PA), Keystoker (Schuylkill Haven), Losch (Schuylkill Haven), V&E (Schuylkill Haven) Axeman Anderson (Williamsport) And Van Wert (Peckville PA)

By far the EFM is the Best with Van Wert which no longer made being a generic second. The Axeman Anderson while a very good production unit is more suited for an industrial environment where you can run it full. Too oversized for a modern house

But as for economy and for the price the Keystoker is a great deal. But if you have the money and price is no object buy the EFM. Personally I preferred the EFM 350 which was approx 90 k BTU/hr unit for a modern house But it has been produce for years.

Remember the stoker is only one part of the design. setup, distribution and operation is also critical.

jjs777_fzr
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Penn Coal Stove & Chubby
Other Heating: CFM Wood Stove & Englander 25-PDVC Pellet Stove

Post by jjs777_fzr » Fri. Jan. 30, 2009 11:56 pm

Are there any threads that have prices paid for the popular coal stoves ?
I've been looking around and very difficult to find prices - this thread actually posted a couple prices...I'm looking for more without going to a dealer.
Someone posted popular stove links, thx first I've seen the Baker stoves - look like quality without the fuss of electronics.

Great forum folks!

-John

tugcapt

Post by tugcapt » Thu. Feb. 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Hello John, I don't know where you live but yesterday I was at Cranston Coal in RI. They have Leisure line Pioneers for $2700.Which is what I own,haven't had a single problem with it all winter.
Keith

madeinchina

Post by madeinchina » Fri. Mar. 13, 2009 5:12 am

Price of wood Pellet is US$25-300/Ton, Calorific Value is 4000Kcal/Kg.
Calorific Value of anthracite is 7000 K cal/Kg.
Anyone know knows retail price of anthracite.
Calorific of koresene is 11000 K cal/Kg.
Anyone knows retail price of Koresene

Any how anthracite must be most cost efficitive for home heating.

Wang

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Fri. Mar. 13, 2009 5:30 am

madeinchina wrote:Any how anthracite must be most cost efficitive for home heating.

Wang
That's the conclusion I've come to but don't forget that outside temperatures, how tight your house is insulated and the transportation cost of the coal play a role in your total savings. Using anthracite is saving me 50% on my heating bill over Natural Gas but I live right next to the coal region of PA so my transportation cost are nothing. The folks in Maine pay a lot more then I do. Lisa

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle » Fri. Mar. 13, 2009 9:52 am

Patrichanss -- I believe the best brands are gravity fed; that is to say - "Hand Fed" - units. As you have posted
on this site you may want to look at stoves such as the Harman - Hitzer - that you fill from the top and let gravity
do the work! We spend about 10 minutes/day filling and "stoking" our H 503, it's attributes are much quieter
operation and heat when the lights go out. The stokers I have heard - esp.- those with a "power" vent are
much louder and there is no manner to reduce the noise. Thinking of putting this into a living area? Give
a thought to "Gravity Stokers" Best, baldeagle

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Fri. Mar. 13, 2009 1:58 pm

madeinchina wrote:Price of wood Pellet is US$25-300/Ton, Calorific Value is 4000Kcal/Kg.

Wang
Dang, Wang sound like its gonna cost a bunch if they close them up... saw this article about bejing today
"China is making plans to close about 7,000 coal mines in an effort to reduce the high number of fatal accidents its coal industry suffers each year. The number of proposed closures represents nearly one-third of China's coal mines.

More than 3,000 miners have died this year in Chinese coal mines. The accidents were due to fires, floods and explosions. Even so, the closures are likely to be difficult to enforce, some analysts said. This is because jobs and energy in the regions affected take precedence over safety. "

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Fri. Mar. 13, 2009 3:41 pm

then we have the peanut shell pellets hmmm
Calorific value:: 4000kcal/kg~5000kcal/kg
Diameter:: 8mm
Length:: 10mm~30mm
Ash Content:: <6%
Moisture:: <10%

Place of origin: Liaoning China
Model No: senon003
Port: Dalian port,China
Payment Terms: L/C,T/T
Minimum Order Quantity: 200 Ton
Supply Ability: 2000 Ton per Month
Package: plastic woven bag (20kgs or 40kgs/bag), ton bag
Delivery Time: within 15 workdays after receiving the deposit

2 hundred tons of shells... I wonder how many peanuts that is?
**Broken Link(s) Removed**

madeinchina

Post by madeinchina » Sat. Mar. 14, 2009 12:09 am

Poconoeagle wrote:
madeinchina wrote:Price of wood Pellet is US$25-300/Ton, Calorific Value is 4000Kcal/Kg.

Wang
Dang, Wang sound like its gonna cost a bunch if they close them up... saw this article about bejing today
"China is making plans to close about 7,000 coal mines in an effort to reduce the high number of fatal accidents its coal industry suffers each year. The number of proposed closures represents nearly one-third of China's coal mines.

More than 3,000 miners have died this year in Chinese coal mines. The accidents were due to fires, floods and explosions. Even so, the closures are likely to be difficult to enforce, some analysts said. This is because jobs and energy in the regions affected take precedence over safety. "
China is nothing but at the level of 1920"s American, or below.
In 1923, 500 PA miners were killed, and 20,000 were injured.
If China closed its mines, millions of miners would be jobless. and tens of millions would be on utter hungry. Chaos would happen, hundreds of millions would die. But politicains will be same fat as before.
the slave labours in China are indeed help common American people.
Check what you are buying from Wal-mart. If they were made in American, how many low-income American can afford them.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Sat. Mar. 14, 2009 12:19 am

"China is nothing but at the level of 1920"s American, or below."

Is that in the mining industry? with the technology? or the attitude of thier place in the world?

do you guys grow a lot of peanuts? Was Jimmy Carter helpful with that?

madeinchina

Post by madeinchina » Sat. Mar. 14, 2009 2:11 am

Poconoeagle wrote:"China is nothing but at the level of 1920"s American, or below."

Is that in the mining industry? with the technology? or the attitude of thier place in the world?

do you guys grow a lot of peanuts? Was Jimmy Carter helpful with that?
y
In 2008 American peanut production is about 2 million ton, but China is 14 million ton.
Why some people double availability of peanut shell pellet from China.
in 2007 China cotton production is 6.7 million ton, American is 5.5 million tons.
Cotton stem pellet has big potential too.
pellet price in China is FOB US$100/ton. If 5 guys living in same area can import a 20' container together, everyone will have 3.5 ton, price will be below US$200/ per ton. Even price of No.2 oil is $2, the pellet is still cost effective.
bet, oil price will increase in the next winter.

Smart guys: find your neibhors, import pellet directly from China together, save heating cost.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Sun. Mar. 15, 2009 12:18 am

That might be good idea but The rice burns best in my EfM 520 stoker stove. which is the topic.

madeinchina

Post by madeinchina » Tue. Mar. 17, 2009 7:14 am

Poconoeagle wrote:That might be good idea but The rice burns best in my EfM 520 stoker stove. which is the topic.
I am chinese in China and never been in American.
May I have a drawing of EfM 520, inside.
I just find a coal furnace in China.
It does not use any electrical, not auger.
It feeds coal by the gravity.
the coal bin is big enough for one week burning.
retail price in Beijing is around US$500. Good for a space of 150 square meter.
Beijing is quite cold in winter, minimium is -5C to -10C.
From internet search, American coal furnace seems very complicated.
Why?

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Tue. Mar. 17, 2009 10:12 am

madeinchina wrote:
Poconoeagle wrote:That might be good idea but The rice burns best in my EfM 520 stoker stove. which is the topic.
I am chinese in China and never been in American.
May I have a drawing of EfM 520, inside.
I just find a coal furnace in China.
It does not use any electrical, not auger.
It feeds coal by the gravity.
the coal bin is big enough for one week burning.
retail price in Beijing is around US$500. Good for a space of 150 square meter.
Beijing is quite cold in winter, minimium is -5C to -10C.
From internet search, American coal furnace seems very complicated.
Why?
you can see it on thier site
we are complicated people and like to complicate things because we come from the school of Rube Goldberg. :)

Captain Michael

Post by Captain Michael » Wed. Mar. 18, 2009 9:57 pm

I studied long and hard before I finally ordered my Keystoker 90 for a masonary chimney. It just seemed right for me. Have been hand firing a Harman Mark 3. Heats my house nice. A little to hot for my 2000 square ft. I usually open the windows. My reason for change is better temp. control and the ability to slow it down in weather like today in march. 65 daytime high with 40 at night. Winter is easy with a hand fired stove. But the 2 seasons before and after when temps. are moderating is what I want a better handle on. I think all the manufactures are really good at building these stokers. I spoke with Jerry at leisure line and a guy at Keystoker and Neal with coal trol and read tons of post on this site. Dig in and enjoy the ride. Any info you want is hear. I don't think there is any one question that has not been answered at least once. Consider your house, old new, insulated or curtains blowing, square feet. There are so many stoves to pick from you almost can't screw this up if you pay attention. Harmon, Keystoker, Leisure line, Alaska, its all good

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”