Issue with Coal trol Control Module?

leoman584

Post by leoman584 » Sat. Nov. 24, 2018 3:27 pm

I was adding coal to my stove and literally while I was in front of it the convection blower shut off. The combustion fan and the feed are still operating. I unplugged the blower from the module and plugged it in directly to the wall, and it started blowing again. I've never seen this happen before. I didn't know or think that the control module controlled the blower, as it has always run continuously. It was a mild day and the temperature got up to 74, and the thermostat was set on 72. Will the module shut the blower down or is there a problem with it? The stove is running fine now, but the blower is not plugged into the module. It goes direct to the wall. I have a Reading Juniata. Like I said, I've never experienced this happening before which is leading me to believe that there could be an issue with the control module.

Thanks

Vbull
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Reading Juanita
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Vbull » Sat. Nov. 24, 2018 4:58 pm

I have the same stove/furnace Without the Coal-trol. My convection blower is controlled by a hot air furnace bi-metal On/Off switch located in the upper left side as you look at the unit. If the Coal-trol is no longer cycling (speed controlling) the convection blower I'm pretty sure the stove will overheat when on High Fire if the convection blower it is not plugged in directly and running at full speed.
I've never checked, but I'd have to think the Coal-trol speed control is via frequency modulation and is much more complicated then a simple relay.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Nov. 24, 2018 6:46 pm

the coaltrol controls all the blowers, usually varies the speed of the convection blower based on feed rate. so if it was warm enough and your FR=0 or very low the convection blower will be off or on very low depending on its threshold setting in the coaltrol, it may have a very low CFM setting, so it doesn't burn up. so it may go very low and then shut off. if your demand is higher or you turn up the thermostat and let it catch up and see what your feed rate is, (above maybe FR=30) plug the fan back into coal trol and see if it runs.

Not sure if there a fuse in the coal trol or not, also check all your cables to/from the thermostat, maybe dirty or loose, clean eveyrhting, maybe unplug it for a few minutes and plug it back in and see if it works.

Hoss
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Juniata
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Anthracite
Other Heating: Oil Hot Water

Post by Hoss » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 6:40 pm

I have a Juniata as well and when the FR falls below the CF low setting it will turn the CF off.

xmanjeff
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 90 dv

Post by xmanjeff » Wed. Nov. 28, 2018 7:28 am

set thermostate up and crank feed rate to 100 and see what happens

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”