Coal Stove Vs Coal Furnace

lmrr

Post by lmrr » Mon. Jun. 30, 2008 7:41 am

I am interested in heating with coal. I am looking at the Harman TLC 2000 wood/coal stove. I also looked at the Reading coal furnaces. I heat with propane presently. I was thinking of installing both.. Is that overkill. I have a saltbox house with cathedral ceiling in the living room that I thought I would put the Harman TLC 2000 in and the furnace in the basement. I also will need to purchase the coal. I would have to store outside so I think bags the best. I live in meredith so is there any place close by to purchase the coal? Any comments, suggestions appreciated.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Jun. 30, 2008 8:01 am

It is overkill, go with a stoker....... furnace or boiler.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Jun. 30, 2008 8:33 am

As a TLC-2000 owner, I swear by them! I'm not a big fan of Reading anything so I would recommend looking at other furnaces. I like a hand-fired (as opposed to a stoker) as they don't need electricity to burn, are silent & usually less expensive to buy. You may just find that the stove will work fine for you but a furnace would definitely do it. (I don't think you'd need both) As far as bagged coal is concerned, I would recommend Blaschak as a good brand. Avoid Reading coal if possible,

lmrr

Post by lmrr » Mon. Jun. 30, 2008 12:24 pm

I am new at this so please excuse me if I do something wrong. The person with the Harman coal/wood stove. I saw the picture. Did you pipe it into an existing chimney? I don't have a mortar chimney. Do I have to pipe out the roof or can it go out the back through a wall?

Thank you.

Lumberjack

Post by Lumberjack » Mon. Jun. 30, 2008 10:40 pm

I would suggest narrowing down your choices first before you pick a model.
For supplemental heating a stove or fireplace insert is a good way to go.
If you want to heat with only coal and not as a supplement I would get a furnace or boiler.
Boilers are good whole house solutions if you have radiant or baseboards already installed.
Furnaces are a cheaper solution if your already setup with forced hot air.
Once you have all that figured out then it is a matter of deciding how big a unit you need and finding one to match.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Mon. Jun. 30, 2008 10:50 pm

lmrr wrote:I am new at this so please excuse me if I do something wrong. The person with the Harman coal/wood stove. I saw the picture. Did you pipe it into an existing chimney? I don't have a mortar chimney. Do I have to pipe out the roof or can it go out the back through a wall?

Thank you.
I had a block chimney built on a gable end of the house & a thimble put through the wall into the chimney. You can power vent if you need to but a masonry block chimney is much preferable for a coal stove.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”