Grate cleaning

csstoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by csstoker » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 10:00 am

I was having issues with even coal flow on the grate, burn area/pattern, and very low flame even at a medium flow rate. I eventually found that the grate needed a cleaning and that fixed the issue. I cleaned the grate and grate sides with 80 grit sandpaper- it is as smooth as glass. I found 5 holes plugged near the top of the grate and was able to clear 3 with a nail, one cleared with a 1/8" masonry bit, but I can't get the other one unplugged? While that one plug doesn't seem to be effecting the burn, I would like to be able to clear it at some point.

Any thoughts on what to use to clear that hole plug? Also, any tips or thoughts on grate cleaning? While smooth, there is still a coal film/layer at the top of the grate above the holes that didn't come off during the sandpaper clean.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 11:21 am

A small punch and 1/8" drill bit will clear the plugged hole. As long as the grate is smooth enough to have the coal get pushed over it i wouldn't worry about that last little bit of film.

csstoker

Post by csstoker » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 11:55 am

okay, thanks!

csstoker

Post by csstoker » Mon. Nov. 19, 2018 6:16 pm

still having low flame issue. Using the descriptions from a different thread, I would describe the flame more like a camp fire with lower almost straight up flame rather than higher blow torch flame at 45 degree angle. Combustion motor spins freely. The grate and grate gaskets are on properly. Is there a gasket or anywhere that air would/could leak out in the combustion motor assembly? I don't feel any excess air, but it acts almost like there isn't enough air coming up through the grate? I have a new combustion motor this year and it spins freely. Also, noticed that the new coal this year has much more fines and that may be contributing but there is something else going on?

I have to set a higher feed setting for same temp. The ash pan shows more ash and some unburned coal, and no granola like pieces

csstoker

Post by csstoker » Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 10:13 pm

kind of odd. The stove seems to be running as expected now, using the different brand coal this year and leftover coal from last year, coal is playing a part in ash pan results. At this point, I would have to chalk the rest of it up to either the weather and/or the chimney. Might a brushed clean chimney initially cause less of a draft initially either because it is totally clean and wider than the 6" stove pipe, or because the inside of the brick is no longer insulated by ash and cooling off when not running the stove high enough/long enough on a higher feed?

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 1:44 am

Did you take out the grate and clean out the fines under it?

Paulie

csstoker

Post by csstoker » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 5:51 pm

yea, all clean under the grate. When the feed rate is moderately cranked, I get a, lower than last year but still fairly high, flame (although not to the top of the burn box) that is tilted towards the stove pipe.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 7:39 pm

csstoker wrote:
Tue. Dec. 04, 2018 5:51 pm
yea, all clean under the grate. When the feed rate is moderately cranked, I get a, lower than last year but still fairly high, flame (although not to the top of the burn box) that is tilted towards the stove pipe.
Did you clean all the little blades on the squirrel cage? It sounds like its not getting enough combustion air.

If you are using a rheostat on the combustion fan that could be the problem too.

-Don

csstoker

Post by csstoker » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 9:49 am

no rheostat on combustion fan and the blades are clean and the combustion motor and cage are new. I also question whether it is getting enough combustion air. The draw of air through the bottom of the cage isn't as strong as it was with the previous motor. The guy who I get my coal from wonders if the new motor is faulty and says faulty motors happen on occasion. The cage spins freely. Is there a way to check or know- other than assessment of draw through the bottom- whether the motor itself is spinning as fast as it should be- either the motor or the current going to the motor?

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Wed. Dec. 05, 2018 1:53 pm

It is possible the make these motors to run at different RPM, this is just a guess though. Take a good look at your old motor and see if you can find any markings that can give a clue to the RPM.

-Don

csstoker

Post by csstoker » Fri. Dec. 07, 2018 6:42 pm

don't have the old motor. I will look more into this. Thanks!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”