Reading Vs Leisure Line

brokenyoyo

Post by brokenyoyo » Sun. Jun. 29, 2008 12:46 pm

Any thoughts on reading RS 96 vs leisure line econo? I know one is larger, Im wondering about build quality etc Thanks Dan

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sun. Jun. 29, 2008 1:52 pm

I would get a Leisure Line over the Reading if it were me. Of the stoves I have looked at in the past the Leisure Line was better quality in my opinion and I think the Reading still uses a Triburner stoker design that is a little outdated. I think Coal-Trol is standard with the Leisure Line but not on the Reading. It has been almost a year since I have looked at any of these stoves so I could be wrong or things may have changed since then.

brokenyoyo

Post by brokenyoyo » Sun. Jun. 29, 2008 2:05 pm

Hey GAW how do like the keystoker? Does the coal trol work with that brand of stove? They seem kind of expensive.I am hoping to have the money in 2 months. There is upto a 15 week wait on leisure line.That means if I order at the end of August I wont have t he stove untill Oct Nov. Im looking for a decent stove with a shorter wait. Thanks Dan

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sun. Jun. 29, 2008 2:29 pm

The Keystoker Bay Window stove I have I picked up used to heat my garage when I'm in it in the winter. I have yet to install it and make a fire in it. I like it in that it looks good and everything apears to work but no real life experience with it to report on how well it works to heat the garage, sorry. I don't have a Coal-Trol. I believe they will work with Keystokers but not 100% sure. Best to ask Coal-Trol. Just me, but I would wait and get the Leisure Line before the Reading but that is not to say you would not be satisfied with a Reading. There have been posts on here in the past from people who have Reading stoves and like them. Some of the issues I have with the Readings I have seen as far as fit and finish have nothing to do with the ability to make heat. There are better stokers than the Triburner but here again the Triburner does burn coal and make heat, so you can see much of this information is subjective.

stokin-railroad

Post by stokin-railroad » Sun. Jun. 29, 2008 2:46 pm

Keystoker does offer coal-trol as optional add-on at additional cost.from what all posts say all manufacturers are building a good quality product,with that said you will save money on fuel cost with any alternative heat source.selection should be made based on preferance and budget.my choice was based on heating need,warrantee,and budget.looked at 3 options reading as last choice but not a bad option in my opinion.warrantee was biggest deciding factor.very satisfied after first year burning,no unexpected experiances :D .saved a bunch compared to oil prices :mad: first delivery last year convinced me to do the extra work and burn coal,no regrets and very happy with our choice.Good Luck with your choice.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Jun. 29, 2008 8:55 pm

I'd go with Leisure Line because of Jerry's participation here on the forum, he is easily available for advice. That said I hear Keystokers are good as well, I don't have a high opinion of Reading stoves based on what I have read.

BTW, my rebuilt Alaska Tri-Burner has been running since last December with zero problems. Very consistent and dependable.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”