Harman Super Magnum Fine Scraper Adjustment help please?

guysnydr
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Super Magnum
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Previous stove - Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil Fired Forced Hot Air

Post by guysnydr » Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 3:02 pm

Hi all! So my hopper on my Harman Super Magnum rusted up near the bottom pretty badly. I figured before I used it this season I would remove the hopper and get a good look at things and get it repaired. Buddy of mine does metal fabrication and fixed it up for me so now need to get it reinstalled. Before doing so, I wanted to clean the whole feed area and get rid of some of the rust scale that I noticed after pulling the hopper out. Inside the feed area there are two bolts maybe 5 or 6 inches apart that I believe hold the fines scraper plate? These bolts were in rough shape and I couldn't get a grip on them, so I removed the entire steel housing that these bolts are attached to so that I could get to them easier. Got the bolts out easily enough with the housing removed, but noticed that the steel plate (fines scraper plate?) was in really rough shape so need to replace that as well. So this leads me to my question. Since I removed this housing, I see that entire housing is adjustable up and down via 4 bolts (two on each side of the housing) and the housing is slotted so it can be adjusted up and down. There are two thick steel alignment tabs that stick out both sides of the housing that keeps it aligned once the bolts are tightened. This adjustment looks to me like it would be to adjust the fines also. So, I guess I need to adjust both the fines scraper plate, as well as the housing that this plate attaches to. I have included a pic in case none of this makes sense. Anybody know how these pieces should be adjusted properly?

Now for the question that many are going to ask - which is "why did it all get so rusty"? Well, I am also asking that same question and hoping to find some answers myself. I purchased the stove when it was 3 years old and have now used it two seasons. I do get moisture in my hopper, which has created this rust issue obviously. I have probably used some wet coal, but have also used dry coal that has sat in my bin all summer long. Seems I always have moisture in the hopper when I leave the lid on, so I leave the lid off. Last year, I was experiencing some draft issues, I do have a monometer. Stove was not drafting well, even with freshly cleaned chimney and stove pipe. Live in north central PA, north of Williamsport, ranch home, stove in basement, triple wall 6" stainless chimney. I attributed the draft issue to strange atmospheric conditions, but who knows, could be something else. The blower restrictor plate/cover is about 1/3 open. Carbon monoxide detectors have never gone off (I have two) so I don't seem to have CO2 issues. In any case, I could have some issues to work through when I get it all back together, but right now I just want to get it back together and see where I am at so I can start digging deeper.

Any help is very appreciated!

Attachments

thumbnail (2).jpg
.JPG | 181.6KB | thumbnail (2).jpg

guysnydr
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Super Magnum
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Previous stove - Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil Fired Forced Hot Air

Post by guysnydr » Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 4:59 pm

As for potential draft issue, I also wanted to mention that I do have a barometric damper installed.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”