Alaska Stove Hearth Pad R-Value?

janitor_ed
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-81

Post by janitor_ed » Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 10:58 am

Does any one know where or if Alaska Stoves specifies and R-Value for the hearth pad? I've looked all over and can't seem to find a specification. I don't find anything in the manual or on the stove data plate. I have the channing 2. Not having a R-value is making it a bit difficult to design a hearth pad that will meet requirements and yet be pleasing to my wife :-)

Thank you.

Regards,
Ed

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 11:24 am

They're all pretty standard J, unless ya build your own--2x4's plywood/ crete bd. & tile.

janitor_ed
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-81

Post by janitor_ed » Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 8:02 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 11:24 am
They're all pretty standard J, unless ya build your own--2x4's plywood/ crete bd. & tile.
Hi Fred,
I'll be building my own. Just trying to figure out the required R-Value so that I can calculate what materials and thicknesses to use.

For example, how many sheets of concrete board would be sufficient? Would a piece of 24 GA sheet metal be needed also? Etc.

Regards,
Ed

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 10:05 pm

I just did 2X4's- 8" on center w/ 5/8 plywood & then 1/2 inch thick tiles--been good for over 20 yrs--wood & coal stoves

Attachments

004.JPG
.JPG | 59.3KB | 004.JPG

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 9:39 am

Did you get your hearth built?
I switched from wood to coal last year. My wood stove was small so I had built a platform for it to sit on which was about 1 foot tall. 2x12 frame. And I had added 2 sheets of cement backer board, a coat of cement and added 1/4" tile. It worked good. I thought the floor was getting a bit warmer than I liked so I put a lowes fire board under the stove. It worked just fine. Now that I had changed to coal the foot tall base was just too tall to climb up every time I had to add coal. I removed that base and made a new one. I wanted a change - a new look and I didn't want the black lowes stove board sitting on top. So.. I built a 2 1/2 tall frame. Lined the bottom with stove board then poured 2" of concrete on top. Leveled it out and added solid clay bricks to make a solid base for the stove to sit on. It's about 5" tall and the heat from the stove warming the base doesn't concern me anymore.

Spacecadet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95, Hitzer 30/95
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: US stove 6041 pellet

Post by Spacecadet » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 9:39 am

Did you get your hearth built?
I switched from wood to coal last year. My wood stove was small so I had built a platform for it to sit on which was about 1 foot tall. 2x12 frame. And I had added 2 sheets of cement backer board, a coat of cement and added 1/4" tile. It worked good. I thought the floor was getting a bit warmer than I liked so I put a lowes fire board under the stove. It worked just fine. Now that I had changed to coal the foot tall base was just too tall to climb up every time I had to add coal. I removed that base and made a new one. I wanted a change - a new look and I didn't want the black lowes stove board sitting on top. So.. I built a 2 1/2 tall frame. Lined the bottom with stove board then poured 2" of concrete on top. Leveled it out and added solid clay bricks to make a solid base for the stove to sit on. It's about 5" tall and the heat from the stove warming the base doesn't concern me anymore.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”