DVC500 issue

Jds7721
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Jds7721 » Thu. Oct. 25, 2018 6:58 am

Hello,
New to forum.
I have a Harmon Magnum stoker and a dvc500. DVC500 is 9 yrs old. Not one issue until...
I have fumes entering residence and carbon monoxide detector is sounding. Put a piece of paper in firebox and smoke fills up the hopper. I belive this is the problem.
Cleaned chimney vent and stoce yearly.
Weak draft motor? Gasket?
Tech was here and could not solve problem.
Thanks

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Thu. Oct. 25, 2018 7:46 am

What does your manometer say? Is this a power vented unit?

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Oct. 25, 2018 8:03 am

Powervents are not used with DVCs and I have never used a manometer. If the tech is even reasonably competent then it would appear you have an exhaust obstruction as it is a not so obvious a problem. These stoves are a little problematical to maintain but it sounds like your tech is not so knowledgeable. Of course, I assume you have the correct Harman chimney. So is this chimney correctly installed? A pic would be nice so we can study placement. Is it at ground level or setup in a basement with the chimney going up to the first floor? After 9 years it would appear you have the hang of it so again are you sure you cleaned any obstruction out of the chimney. If the fire is roaring in there is a lot of air going through the stove so no way is CO normally an issue. Is the intake to the comb. blower clean? Look at the squirrel cage drum is it clean. Dirt/pet hair in there can seriously reduce airflow. People only replace that motor as a last resort as it is expensive.

Moderator please move this to Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)

Jds7721

Post by Jds7721 » Sat. Oct. 27, 2018 7:46 am

Sorry for incorrect posting placement
Remove chimney pipe each year and leave off during the summer. Clean with 100 psi air hose. No obstruction.
Did have local tech out. Not impressed. First time working on DVC500. Less impressed with tech support as he was on phone 45 min-no help. All readings from circuit board are within parameters. Legacy tech support was supposed to call tech back and then call me but never did.
Stove is in basement with a 3' rise to exit.
Worked great for 9 years.
I called Legacy stoves myself and they suggested a bad feeder gasket.
I am going to tear down the stove and replace all gaskets.
Will post when complete. THANKS FOR HELPING ME

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Oct. 27, 2018 8:43 am

Wow I am impressed. I have no idea what circuit board output should be but you seem to know the stove at least as well as I. I am suspicious that that motor gasket is not the cause as the motor is almost never removed but could be tightened. How far is the chimney base from the ground and is the base capped off. When the fire starts does the fire roar like it should? If so air in equals air out. That much CO would only logically some from the door. Is the gasket OK? I ask as I renew mine about every three years. When did you last change those J thermocouples in the exhaust? A careless tech will take off that door and shove a vac hose up there and they become very brittle. Is the fines door operating OK and did the tech replace the draw at all. Hmmm, I am interested in this thread as I like to learn as much as I can about this finicky little bugger.

Does it go like this or not. Tough to imagine CO build here.

Jds7721

Post by Jds7721 » Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 9:34 am

Sir,
Fire starts and runs strong. Odor builds soon after then the alarm starts sounding.
I disassembled the entire unit yesterday.
1. gasket on the rear of the unit when the chimney connects too was not in great shape but I did not find any other gasket issues. This is the internal gasket on the permanent piece, not the chimney gasket I replace each year. I did find excessive rust on the burn box area where it meets the back wall and had to chisel it off.
2. Where the hopper connects to the fine ash bin is basically sealed with silicone but seemed ok.
3. Also, I have to empty my fine ash bin one a day and that is not normal. I discovered the space between the pusher block and the metal frame is excessive- 1/4 to 3/8 inches. Definitely a manufacturing error.
4. I still do not think a gasket is the issue. I believe there is an issue with the draft etc but we will find out.
5. My chimney has 1 90, then a 3 foot section then another 90 to exit. about 4-5 feet total length. Again this has worked great for 9 years.

If anyone has any ideas please help.
I will post again after I receive the gaskets and put the stove back together. (1-2) weeks

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Oct. 28, 2018 1:43 pm

Sir, I like that one. I have been called many things on this board but Sir is a new one.
. Also, I have to empty my fine ash bin one a day and that is not normal.
That is very unusual in my experience. When you examine the coal do you see an unusual amount of fines.

So, if you remove the door at the back of the ash area and shine a light up there is it clean and do you see the thermocouples? The reason I come back to this is that it smells (excuse the pun) of a exhaust breach restriction. Of course, you know of all these tricks after 9 years but I thought I would mention it. Just think about it for a minute. You start the stove and the comb. fan pumps air into the fire box. That excess pressure is supposed to go up the chimney. Any blockage will kill airflow from the fan the fire will start to die (not enough air) and the stove would leak products of incomplete combustion into the room. Even if everything is perfect that leakage will still occur. I guess we will hear from you in a couple of weeks, and once again good luck.

So, my liege, ever onward.

Jds7721

Post by Jds7721 » Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 8:13 pm

Update:

1 gasket not available. They will make it (Legacy)
Hopper lid gasket $150 !!

Looking at about $350 for gaskets.

Will update when I get it back together and definitely check exhaust restrictions.

Thank You

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Oct. 31, 2018 9:38 pm

Perhaps cleaning the stove at the end of the year you did not screw the fines door tight enough. This would mean some of the cold combustion air coming from outside went into the pan not the chamber. The air would also move a lot of coal into the fines draw. This is this evenings theory but I did drink 2 IPAs. Of course, I would not suggest that one who had burned 9 years in the stove........ g'night.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Nov. 02, 2018 4:08 am

Will update when I get it back together and definitely check exhaust restrictions.
and of course the operation of the draft motor. An early morning afterthought!

Jds7721

Post by Jds7721 » Sun. Dec. 02, 2018 7:34 pm

Hello,
Finally put entire stove back together after I replaced every single gasket.
Ran great for 5 days then shut down when using remote temperature sensor.
Tried to run the stove off the stove temp setting and ran about 2 days and shut down.
Started it up again and then the carbon monoxide detectors started sounding overnight but the fire stayed lit.

So I guess at this point it was probably not a gasket.
I am not sure what would cause both the fire to go out and the carbon monoxide to build up in the house.
I am leaning toward the sensor that detects the negative pressure but just a guess from speaking to a few dealers.
I have a call in to 2 other technicians and waiting a call back.

I guess I am just going to have to change parts with a trial and error situation at this point.

Thanks for the help and any input is greatly appreciated.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Dec. 02, 2018 9:03 pm

Wasp nest or even maybe a dead critter in your DV pipe causing a blockage or restriction.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Dec. 02, 2018 9:31 pm

You seem to have many experts on your side, so who am I to differ. However, let me point out a fact.
Also, I have to empty my fine ash bin one a day and that is not normal. I discovered the space between the pusher block and the metal frame is excessive- 1/4 to 3/8 inches. Definitely a manufacturing error.
The stove ran fine for 8 years and yet you think there is a fatal manufacturing error somewhere? Sorry, that is not logical unless you have always done this which I doubt. I told you I doubted it was a gasket issue. I really wish you well. My thoughts remain unchanged.

Jds7721

Post by Jds7721 » Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 2:06 pm

Sir,
I do not think there is a fatal manufacturing error somewhere. I simply thought a gasket had gone bad. Legacy advised me to change all gaskets since it was 10 years old. I am sure there is no exhaust restriction since I clean it out every spring and reinstall it the day I am ready to start the stove. I am open to any suggestions at this point

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Dec. 03, 2018 2:10 pm

My liege, here is CNs advice. Buy a spare, at the rate you are replacing things it will pay for itself very quickly.

https://watertown.craigslist.org/app/d/harman-dvc ... 36069.html

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”