Replaced gaskets for hopper

Commish
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Kodiak stoker ii

Post by Commish » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 5:46 am

Good morning, I recently changed my hopper(due to bottom/sides rusting out)
I ordered both gasket and hopper from Alaskan stoves(I have a stoker ii) I cleaned the area of old gasket and set new on. And set new hopper on and bolted at top.
My question is, is that all need to do? Do I need to cement it as well?
I guess the gasket swells up a little bit once heated up?

Also,the new hopper isn’t the same side as old hopper(I gave them dimensions when I ordered, they said it would be fine.....) so the problem I’m having is the hopper lid dosent fit. I guess I can just cut a piece of sheet metal to size? Or am I ok with having gaps?

Thank you for your time

Commish

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 8:22 am

Most coal stokers don't even have a hopper gasket so you should be OK.

No, the gasket will not swell up with heat. If the bottom of the hopper gets hot, you have a serious problem.

That's strange that they didn't sell you the exact same hopper for your stove. Anyway, most coal stokers don't have a lid on the hopper so a piece of sheet metal should do fine.

-Don

gambler

Post by gambler » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 9:20 am

I asked these very same question years ago. Jerry, the then owner of leisure line stoves told me.
The gasket was to keep a vibration rattle from happening and that I cold go topless on the hopper if
I wanted to.

Commish
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Kodiak stoker ii

Post by Commish » Sun. Oct. 14, 2018 12:48 pm

Guys, thank you

The gasket goes between the hopper and carpet feed assembly. They had one there before, and they gave me a new one to install, so I did. I figured it needed to be on there so no carbon monoxide escaped through there.....

Also, I replaced the door gasket(glass rattles when opening/closing...
It was the rope type(juts like I removed).
When I shut the door, I can see some of the rope. Is this an issue. I can’t see through, and I installed just as the old one was.
The glass is pressed up tight with the plates and dosent move like it did before.

This is only my second year running the stove(just moved into house last year) and I haven’t had to do any work to it yet. So I wanted to be sure. Plus I have 2 little kids at home and don’t want to have any CO2 issues!!

Thank you,
Commish

csstoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by csstoker » Wed. Oct. 17, 2018 12:03 pm

sounds like zero problems with the gasket install. You can always trim away the excess from the rope if you want.

In terms of the hopper lid, I believe that all Alaska stokers come with a hopper lid, although it sounds like not all stokers have hopper lids. Personally, I don't know if it is necessary on an Alaska stove, but I would be more comfortable running with some kind of lid unless I was certain that the burn was far enough away from the feeder and drafting away from the hopper. If a hopper were ever to occur, I would think a lid would diminish the draft and the height of a hopper fire.

mrtumtum
Stoker Coal Boiler: alaskan Kast Console III
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Kast Console III
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by mrtumtum » Mon. Oct. 29, 2018 1:43 pm

greetings,
I have an Alaskan Kast Console 3
The carpet gasket is coming off on the one side
Should I replace try to seal it or leave it alone?
thank you in advance
IMG_0004.JPG
.JPG | 627KB | IMG_0004.JPG

csstoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by csstoker » Thu. Nov. 01, 2018 9:39 pm

if it is old, I would replace it.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Fri. Nov. 02, 2018 7:01 pm

Yes, it's pretty obvious that your carpet strong back gasket has failed. You need to replace it or you will have feed and burnback problems.

-Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”