Tis a puzzlement...

WRE

Post by WRE » Fri. Oct. 05, 2018 11:57 pm

"Weldment" is such a non-specific term, I had no idea what to look for. However, now I know and I found the fork. Thankfully, it's in pristine condition! Fortunately, the previous owner had liberal amounts of oil in there, so when I naivley started it up, it moved without a hitch.
Many thanks again, guys.
Now... with an eye to painting it... can someone tell me what the surface temperature can get to on this lady?
Thanks

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Oct. 06, 2018 5:39 am

It is pretty specific. From Webster's: Definition of weldment: a unit formed by welding together an assembly of pieces.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sat. Oct. 06, 2018 7:34 am

The hottest spots on mine measured with the IR hand held are on each side about 4" from the front and 6" down from the top. They get above 600 when running hard for a while. The next hottest spot is centered above the door on the stove body.,,usually measures about 50* cooler that the side hot spots.

WRE

Post by WRE » Sat. Oct. 06, 2018 10:05 am

Thanks Titleist,
I guess I'd better stay away from the brake caliper paint (500*) and go for the really high heat stuff (2000*) I can't find anything in between with any decent color.

WRE

Post by WRE » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 1:49 pm

Hi guys,
The lady has been running nicely. I turned it down, by lowering the feed rate (maybe a little too much), while I was away for the weekend and when I got home there were still hot coals in there and the house was not freezing. I consider that a major success...exactly why I bought her.
Now... I gather from Titleist's info on the thermostat, that the stove will "slow down" or "speed up" (without going out or over-firing) based on the stat settings, thereby eliminating the need for me to adjust the feed bar. Is that correct?
Thanks

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 6:12 pm

You are correct about not messing with the feed rate once you get it dialed in. The adjustment to the feed bar is to get burning coals to about 1" when it is running full out for about 20 minutes or so. If there is more than 1" of ash at the end of the grates then increase feed rate. If you are pushing burning coals off the grates then lessen the feed rate. The travel distance on mine is about 2 dots on the arrow gauge on the side of the stoker. Once you get that set the only time to mess with it is if the burn characteristics of your rice coal changes from load to load (maybe one load is smaller or larger size rice than the last).

You control the house temp with the 'stat. If you are going away for the weekend then lower the 'stat and burn less coal. The timer settings on the control box keep the fire from burning out if the 'stat doesn't call for heat.

WRE

Post by WRE » Tue. Oct. 23, 2018 9:29 pm

Ok...that makes sense...but...when I crank up the feed rate I get a roaring fire that doesn't move from the back of the grates. At this time the bar is moving about 1 dot space with corresponding low fire and the temperature in the apartment (small place) is actually a little on the warm side (47* outside). When the outside temp was in the 30's I had it up to about 1 1/2 dots. But the location of the fire and the amount of ash was about the same.
Right now it's got about 3-4 inches of ash from the fire to the drop-off and that ash is piled about 2 inches high.
Is there another adjustment somewhere that I haven't learned about or maybe a blockage somewhere?
The drawings in the manual actually show the fire toward the back of the grates and says all coal should be burned up before it gets to within 1 inch from the drop-off.
BTW...I just looked at the blurb on the bottom of your post that says the EPA loves you... and it reminded me that I just learned from a bonafide coal expert, that anthracite burns as clean as natural gas!!! :mrgreen:

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Oct. 23, 2018 10:48 pm

I am guessing that since it is warm in the small apartment the 'stat is not calling for heat and it is just the timers keeping the fire lit?

I have only adjusted the feed rate setting after it was running full out for a good 20 minutes. That makes it much easier to tell where the burning coal / ash line relative to the edge of the grate. Let it run for 20 minutes to see the effect of the changes.

regarding blockages...did you ream out the holes on the grates with a drill bit? Have the squirrel cage fan blades been cleaned? Was the space under the grates cleared of all ash? Does the sleeve over the threaded feed rod stay tight to the pusher block while the feed is running?

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”