Direct Vent Keystoker Koker questions

Kme743

Post by Kme743 » Tue. Sep. 18, 2018 9:13 am

Hello. I have the opportunity to buy a Keystoker Koker furnace from one of my friends who is converting to natural gas. I can get a good deal on it, but have a question about the dv aspect of it.

The unit is a direct vent model, but I already have a terracotta lined chimney that the previous owner used for his coal stove.

What are my options as far as the direct vent goes? Naturally I can punch a hole in my basement wall for it, but I rather not. I rather use my existing chimney, if I can.

TIA

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Tue. Sep. 18, 2018 2:56 pm

Give Keystoker a call. They have great customer service.

60 KeyStoker Lane Schuylkill Haven, PA 17972
(570) 385-3873

xmanjeff
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 90 dv

Post by xmanjeff » Tue. Sep. 18, 2018 5:16 pm

i have a direct vent in a keystoker 90 , works very well , no problems in 3 years so far , I have heard that you have to be careful with a chimney exhaust when temps get into hi 50s or you don't get proper draft and run into carbon monoxide problems , not so with direct vent

Kme743

Post by Kme743 » Tue. Sep. 18, 2018 7:36 pm

Thanks for the replies. I called Keystoker (I actually live 5 miles from them) and the guy told me just take the direct vent unit off and run it to my chimney. I was worried because this is a bottom vent furnace, but he said it would work the same as a top vent.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Sep. 18, 2018 7:38 pm

works fine without direct vent. I've run my keystoker (bottom vent) both ways with and without the DV for over 15 years.
My HyFire is bottom vent and hooked directly to the chimney without any problems. Just make you use a good baro damper and set the draft correctly with a draft gauge.

Kme743

Post by Kme743 » Tue. Sep. 18, 2018 7:43 pm

Awesome. Thanks a lot. My parents had coal heat forever, but besides taking the ashes out and filling the hopper, the rest was dad's thing lol. My last home had oil/hot water baseboard and my new home has electric (ouch), so its a good time to put coal in. It helps getting a buddy deal on a 5yr old Koker, also haha

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”