Down draft coal furnaces

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Sep. 12, 2018 11:06 am

Are there any down draft furnaces that burn anthracite coal?

I currently have an oil burner. I have been told it's a down draft model though I'm not sure that's the proper name. It probably is since it sits on a concrete floor with a hole through the concrete where the furnace sits. The heat blows down through the floor and disperses throughout the rest of the duct work in the crawl space. If you can imagine a "T", at the intersection of the two lines is a closet where the furnace is behind the closet door. In front of that closet is a 4x4 entry way from the living room and if you turn right or left you enter either room. The cold air return is just above the furnace room door. So, if I am standing in the 4x4 entry way looking at the furnace room door the cold air return is above my head. If I face the living room from that 4x4 entry way and look up there is a door way opening (no door) sort of blocking the path of the cold air return. Now, the air will flow down under that opening and then up into the cold air return. It's a fairly strong pull because if you close the doors bedroom doors off to either side without latching them, the cold air return will suck them closed. I've been tempted to cut a rectangle vent hole above that doorway to allow the air to flow more freely, as it would really help, but it's also strong enough that it's probably not needed.

Anyway, the furnace room is about about 4x4 or 3x4 maybe even 3x5...I've been meaning to measure it, and the chimney for the furnace is contained in the closet as well, obviously.

My only issue with a coal furnace replacing the oil burner would be; how to feed it. It would either have to be hand fed, or have some sort of small hopper.

Clearance problems could be an issue as well. The oil burner fits tight into that closet.

At nearly $500 a tank at last years prices and needing filled about 4-5 times fuel oil as an option is simply the wrong option.

EDIT:
If I decide to add an addition onto my house I won't have to worry about a down draft furnace and the current furnace room will get turned into a much needed closet.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Sep. 12, 2018 11:25 am

I probably put this thread into the wrong sub-forum so feel free to move it.

An electric operated coal furnace is an option.

I'd also like to know if there are hand fed options as well. I'd like to get completely free of paying for electricity.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Sep. 12, 2018 8:38 pm

H, after readin way to many of your posts---I just gotta ask---do you have any idea specifically what you're doin???

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Sep. 12, 2018 9:09 pm

There are no downward blowing coal furnaces to my knowledge. Due to confined space air demand and minimum clearance requirements you would not be able to place a coal burning furnace into a closet.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Sep. 13, 2018 10:31 am

I'm just seeing what my options are, Fred. That's all. The fuel oil bill last year was rough. We just moved into this house in September (my grandparents place) and was our first winter to pay for fuel oil...and a good one to use as a gauge for future winter oil bills. I'm just trying to figure out my primary heating options. My spare heating option is my wood stove but it too could be my primary if need be. If I use a stove as my primary though the plan is to switch to coal. I just thought if there was a down draft model available then I could install the coal furnace and just keep the wood stove as I have access to wood...but still thinking about getting older and not wanting or being able to cut the wood...or the mustard. LOL! To answer your question honestly. No! Nothing specific at the moment...other than wanting to rid myself of as many monthly bills as possible and thinking of ways to do it.

CDF_USAF
Stoker Coal Boiler: Formerly AA-130

Post by CDF_USAF » Thu. Sep. 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Here's an install that sounds kinda sorta similar, maybe give you some ideas for possibilities. There are some creative installs on here.

AK-110, Is It for Me?

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”