Harman Mag Stoker questions

Coalnoob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker
Other Heating: Propane forced air furnace, Wood stove

Post by Coalnoob » Tue. Aug. 28, 2018 6:34 pm

I recently purchased a used Harman Mag Stoker. I fired it in my driveway as a test and noticed the combustion motor was basically linked to the feed motor and only was on when the unit was calling for coal. The unit was working great other than that. Seemed almost like the fire would go out if I didn’t keep calling for more heat on the thermostat. Is there a way to set the combustion blower to run all the time? Is this normal for a Mag Stoker? Any input on how to set this Verti-Flow control would be greatly appreciated.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Aug. 30, 2018 8:11 am

You are correct, the combustion fan is only on when the feed motor is on, this is the way it is supposed to work. To keep the fire alive in between when the thermostat calls for heat the timer functions on the control box are used. With the first two timers on the control box, you control how long the feed motor and combustion fan run and the time interval until the next run time. I have mine set to run for about 2 minutes every 13 minutes. This keeps the fire going until the 'stat calls for heat. You may be able to stretch those times out a little depending on the natural draft through the coal bed on the grates.

The third timer control on the unit is how long the distribution fan runs after the feed and combustion fan turn off. This allows you to 'wash' residual heat off the stoker if you want to. I have mine set to 10 minutes.

Some folks have wired their combustion fans to run all the time to squeeze a more complete burn of the coal on the grates but they still have to have the feed motor run on an interval or you may have the fire creep back into the hopper.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”