Keystoker 90 or 105 Coal Stoves

Max2012
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Not sure on the brand yet
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous

Post by Max2012 » Thu. Aug. 23, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi All,

While not exactly a newbie at Coal/Coal stove heating, 1994 was last time Coal was used as the primary source of heat for my home and that was in Colorado at 10,000 feet using a Wood/Coal stove made by Travis ... since then I moved to Oregon and bought a manufactured home near the Pacific Coast city of Tillamook which I am renovating and decided to go back to Coal as the primary heat source for the home.

In searching for the right Coal Stove I came across the Keystoker 90/105 by Keystone Manufacturing; this product appears to be a good fit for my families situation. Reviews for these particular Coal Stoves are appear to be far and few ... so, I am wondering if anyone on this platform can provide any insight on whether on these stoves whether they are a quality product, reliability, etc?

Installation requires that the stove have provision for combustion air intake, due to the house being a Manufactured Home, I have contacted the Keystone Manufacturing and verified combustion air intake for these models is available and they have these models in stock.

The next consideration was/is sourcing Anthracite coal which is not readily available out West as far as I can determine, Bituminous is available out of Wyoming, Utah,etc but ill-advised by the Keystone ... so, I was put in contact with Blaschak Coal and Reading Coal Company ... so far Blaschak is helping my find a Shipper.

I would be grateful for the knowledge and advise anyone here can provide in my pursuit of the coal heated home.

Thank you,
Max

Max2012
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Not sure on the brand yet
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous

Post by Max2012 » Thu. Aug. 23, 2018 1:04 pm

I should also state that the house is 1985 sq-ft ... and 1 level with an open floor plan.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Aug. 23, 2018 1:09 pm

Max2012 wrote:
Thu. Aug. 23, 2018 12:32 pm
can provide any insight on whether on these stoves whether they are a quality product, reliability, etc?
Welcome to the forum Max. Nearly all the products mentioned on this site including Keystoker are well made products. It's very rare to find a complaint about any of them where quality or durability are concerned. Stick to the companies that make coal aplliances here in the US and you'll have no problems. All of them have been in business for many decades.
The next consideration was/is sourcing Anthracite coal which is not readily available out West as far as I can determine, Bituminous is available out of Wyoming, Utah,etc but ill-advised by the Keystone ... so, I was put in contact with Blaschak Coal and Reading Coal Company ... so far Blaschak is helping my find a Shipper.
That is going to be your problem and once you get done with the shipping the costs can be quite a lot. There are options for using the coal in your area that can be incredibly cheap for the fuel but it's not quite the same as anthracite. You'll have to deal with the soot, etc. There is section here for Bituminous coal.

Bituminous Coal Heating - Residential & Commercial

lamina1982
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker econo 90
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lamina1982 » Thu. Aug. 23, 2018 11:00 pm

I have a keystoker 90 that was heating a 1000sq ft doublewide. I did not use an air intake and had no issues. I heated for 4 winters (recently moved). I used probabaly under 2 ton a year and kept the living room 75-80 and other end of house 65-70 no problem with a cple fans in main hallway. Never had an issue with the keystoker and filled it maybe every 3 days
Sometimes it wlda been nice to have provisions for a larger ash bucket but overall did a great efficient heating

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”