how often to check or clean chimney

csstoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by csstoker » Sat. Aug. 18, 2018 9:34 am

My hearth stoker has been in operation for about 10-12 years. The chimney was clean when I started using the stoker. I have never touched the 2 story brick chimney that it vents to since i started with coal, nor have I had a problem. I have felt that the past couple of years, the stoker doesn't seem to be getting the draft or burning as hot as it used to, but I am not certain, and the baro does move, and it is getting enough draft. Just a feeling and all tangible signs point to it getting at least ample draft.

As I think about this upcoming season, I am wondering whether the chimney should be checked or cleaned? Ever? Will ash cumulatively buildup on the inside wall and obstruct drafting? If so, should I just take a pro backpack blower and blow it up and out the chimney or call a chimney sweep to clean it?

Thanks!!

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sat. Aug. 18, 2018 10:34 am

Draft loss indicates ash buildup .jack

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Aug. 18, 2018 11:22 am

I brush mine every year just cause it's simple to do. I would not recommend to anyone to let it go for multiple yrs. 2 wks ago, I found a bird nest at the top of my chimney & will check again before firing up.

csstoker

Post by csstoker » Sat. Aug. 18, 2018 8:50 pm

I will get on it. Thanks.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sat. Aug. 18, 2018 11:53 pm

I had a hand fed stove. I used to sweep the chimney with a brush and over time found just vacuuming the base out where the thimble is was just fine. Then I insatlled a stoker, and when I went to clean the chimney after year one, I was amazed how much more ash accumulated at the base. I now sweep annually and vacuum the base, and mid year through the barometric damper. Remove the pipe in the spring vacuum the base properly after being swept.

Let us know what you find.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Aug. 19, 2018 8:19 am

I get a lot of flyash buildup in the chimney below the thimble. I think after 4-5 years it would be enough to cause a serious restriction.

A quick vacuum job once per year keeps it very clean.

csstoker

Post by csstoker » Fri. Aug. 31, 2018 2:13 pm

swept the chimney. The ledge had a tremendous amount of ash buildup- as was expected. The flue had minor buildup on the sides. After pushing the brush up one time from the fireplace, it is clean. Will vacuum it yearly!

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Aug. 31, 2018 2:29 pm

Nice C--lil preventive never hurt a soul. :)

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Fri. Aug. 31, 2018 8:58 pm

2001Sierra wrote:
Sat. Aug. 18, 2018 11:53 pm
I had a hand fed stove. I used to sweep the chimney with a brush and over time found just vacuuming the base out where the thimble is was just fine. Then I insatlled a stoker, and when I went to clean the chimney after year one, I was amazed how much more ash accumulated at the base. I now sweep annually and vacuum the base, and mid year through the barometric damper. Remove the pipe in the spring vacuum the base properly after being swept.
Let us know what you find.
Hi 2001Sierra, Funny how the two different stoves handle the fly ash. One would think the violent shaking of the hand fed would fill the stove pipe more. But Nope, its the continuous ash coming off the stoker grates, and hitting the ash pan, causing the fly ash to fly up the stove pipe.

csstoker

Post by csstoker » Sat. Sep. 08, 2018 7:15 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Fri. Aug. 31, 2018 2:29 pm
Nice C--lil preventive never hurt a soul. :)
Amen.

For the chimney illiterate- what is a thimble? My focus would be yearly vacuuming of what I am calling a ledge. I currently place insulation around the stove pipe sealing the open area to the chimney near a shelf or ledge just inside and above the top of the fireplace box. I do not see any kind of port on the outside of the chimney. I am assuming that folks would vacuum from a port? That would surely reduce the amount of ash falling to the fireplace box prior to removing the insulation.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Sep. 08, 2018 7:25 pm

C, a thimble is clay usually round for pipe going through a wall. You won't have one--you have a--yes--smoke shelf.

csstoker

Post by csstoker » Sat. Sep. 08, 2018 7:31 pm

Got it. Thanks.

Protrucker
Stoker Coal Boiler: in the future....when home renovation is done. (radiant floor)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pocono, Keystoker & Leisure Line Li'l Heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning #523, Coal Chubby, Floral Gem #519 & one other Warm Morning stove
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut & Rice
Other Heating: Propane fired forced hot air

Post by Protrucker » Mon. Sep. 10, 2018 7:33 am

Part of my stove cleaning & prep for the next heating season every year is to vacuum out the stovepipes & thimble, then open the cleanout door at the base of the chimney & vacuum that out. I always stick a mirror into the chimney thru the cleanout door & look up the flue to make sure it's clear. I haven't had to clean the flue since I switched to coal from wood burning. I do get enough buildup of ash at the bottom that I wouldn't ever want to go more than two years if I ever did skip a year of checking the chimney.

Cavdrkz24
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520DF

Post by Cavdrkz24 » Fri. Sep. 21, 2018 11:05 pm

make sure you check this yearly. I just had mine done (no idea when it was done last time, we bought the house 2 years ago) and it was sealed up tight save for a 1/2 inch gap for air to get in/out. Dangerous stuff.

sitdwnandhngon
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker II

Post by sitdwnandhngon » Tue. Nov. 06, 2018 5:21 pm

You should check it before every burn season with a brush at least, to make sure there's no dead critters or anything inside it.

When I did wood I cleaned mine at least twice a year with a lot of crap that would usually come out.

Last year with my handfired coal stove I went the whole season before cleaning it, and only got a paint can worth of ash. But that much every year would add up. so it should still be brushed out.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”