Stoker II hopper operating temperatures?

sitdwnandhngon
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker II

Post by sitdwnandhngon » Wed. Aug. 01, 2018 7:35 pm

StokerDon wrote:
Wed. Aug. 01, 2018 7:20 pm

Could you just remove the lid from the stove?

-Don
Would that be safe? I would guess that the chance of a hopper fire would be reduced by keeping it air tight from the top.

I could remove it easily, just two bolts, I wired in a new plug from the junction box when I got home tonight, so everything plugs into it really nice now.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Wed. Aug. 01, 2018 8:07 pm

The hopper lid is not air tight. A sealed lid might slow down a hopper fire though.

Hopper fires are caused by poor chimney and over fire draft conditions. On this stove they can also be caused by the strongback gasket failing.

As far as the gaskets on the stoker that I have, I ordered them from Alaska. None of them were standard stove gaskets. They have a groove in them that the metal edges fit into.

-Don

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Wed. Aug. 01, 2018 8:11 pm

sitdwnandhngon wrote:
Wed. Aug. 01, 2018 7:35 pm
I could remove it easily, just two bolts,
Could you remove it from the stove and just set it on top of the hopper?

-Don

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”