Hitzer 710 vs Koker 160

leoniru
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: H.S. Tarm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Circulator, Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: chestnut
Other Heating: propane; wood

Post by leoniru » Sun. Jul. 22, 2018 2:33 pm

:?: Can anyone comment on the relative pros and cons of these two hot air stoker furnaces (setup with direct vent) with respect to each other?
Does either have a better or worse record of adjustment/setup/repair /wear/performance issues over the other?
Do they seem to be equally well-made?
Is one considerably more expensive than the other?
Pricing info appears to be nearly non-existant on the web.
If anyone has recently purchased either unit, could you tell me what it cost (PM me if appropriate).
And lastly, if purchased with direct vent, can either unit be used without the direct vent (in essence, is it removable?) at a future time by using a masonry chimney?
Is the direct venting something that must be factory installed?
If removable, would any parts need replaced to use the unit with a chimney?
I can't seem to find any info that answers these questions on-line, and as it's Sunday, I can't call the manufacturers. Hoping someone can respond at their Sunday leisure.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jul. 22, 2018 4:58 pm

Koker 160 has single walled stove sides and leaves a lot of heat in it's surrounding area. The better air furnaces have full air jackets.
Koker 160 can be found or ordered both "with" or "without" a factory installed direct-vent..."without" can/could have an after-market PV added.
Chimney conversion at a later date might not work "with" the factory DV model...not sure if it has a large enough breech out for natural aspiration...
Cannot speak much of the Hitzer 710...other than that a after market PV could be added...don't know what venting options the factory offers...

For certain any unit "without" a factory direct-vent can be converted to a chimney at a later date.

Money spent on buying, operating and maintaining any PV or DV could/would pay handsomely towards a nice portion of a whole new masonry chimney. ;)

leoniru

Post by leoniru » Sun. Jul. 22, 2018 6:07 pm

McGiever;
When you say an after market PV could be added to a factory non-DV unit (either make), do you mean an external (relative to the outer building wall) or internal (on/near the unit and inside the building) add-on device?

Waiting to hear back from Messick's (in N.J.) on the pricing for Chim-Tek chimney components, however, I definitely won't have the time to erect one this year. Next year......likely, but I have to get into this building for this winter, and have too many other aspects (wiring/plumbing/bathroom install/etc.) that need doing first. I'm trying to not 'paint myself into a corner' wrt what heating appliance I purchase now. Want maximum flexibility.

On the topic of Chim-Tek, do you know of any other sources for this block and/or liner system? Despite my best web search efforts, Messick's seems to be the only retailer out there. Hard to believe they're it for the entire country, unless Chim-Tek is their proprietary technology.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Sun. Jul. 22, 2018 8:06 pm

DS Machine sold it and they probably still do...
Scroll half way down...
https://dsofpa.com/retail/chimney-cleaning-and-supplies/

leoniru

Post by leoniru » Sun. Jul. 22, 2018 8:17 pm

Ha! Go figure. I have one of their Circulator stoves!
I was going to call them a few days ago but got sidetracked. I need to go down there to pick up a new stove glass anyways.
Thanx!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Jul. 23, 2018 12:18 am

leoniru wrote:
Sun. Jul. 22, 2018 6:07 pm
McGiever;
When you say an after market PV could be added to a factory non-DV unit (either make), do you mean an external (relative to the outer building wall) or internal (on/near the unit and inside the building) add-on device?
Mounted through wall, Fields manufactured unit...guess we'll call that an exterior one.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”