NEW TO ME /USED LL PIONEER CONTROLS

Jh24bear
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure line pioneer

Post by Jh24bear » Sun. May. 06, 2018 10:03 am

2ED44C9C-51D0-41CF-B092-254781D3B1CA.jpeg

This is the fire shortly after I got it running yesterday

Hello All,
Yesterday I purchased for $400 a used LL pioneer I think , but after doing some research it may be the independence model because it has manual controls with no thermostat it seems to be in good shape only problems I saw is glass needs replaced and needs new paint . It has three control knobs one of them controls the blower speed one of them controls the feeder stroke speed and burner fan I think . And the third control by itself says “turn only 1 turn at a time “ which I believe is the amount of coal per stroke ? So I got the unit home anxious to hook it up and test it even tho it’s 80* outside it runs just fine and makes good heat so last night I wanted to see how low it would burn and still hold a fire so I turned he feeder stroke all the way down thinking this would just hold enough coals to keep it idling overnight much to my surprise when I came out to the garage this morning the fire didn’t look that much smaller than with the feeder stoke all the way up . My question is , is the third control that says “turn only 1 turn at a time “ something that needs daily adjustment depending on the fire size I’m asking for ? Or is this all controlled with the feeder stroke control ? The fire looked good it had about an inch of ash off of the grate I just thought it would go much lower . I am not new to coal I have a losch boiler in the house for my main heat I am just new to a stoker in my detached garage .
Thanks

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. May. 06, 2018 11:50 am

Should take 2 knobs to fine tune the control the minimum desired fire size on the grate.
There is also factory recommended mechanical linkage adjustment for length of stroke also for "ballpark" adjustment.
This mechanical linkages is used to TUNE so as to NOT allow any still hot burning coals to be pushed off the end of the grate into the ash pan before being completely burnt for if/when the stoker feed runs "flat out on".

As for the 2 knobs, one adjusts the time duration of the "ON cycle", the other one adjusts the repeating time elapsed BETWEEN each "ON cycle"

If these controls also have provisions for a low voltage thermostat, then when a "call for heat" the thermostat would over ride the 2 knob settings temporarily and run the stoker "flat out on" until thermostat is satisfied and then it would go back and resumes the 2 knob settings again.

HTH :)

Jh24bear
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure line pioneer

Post by Jh24bear » Sun. May. 06, 2018 1:12 pm

Yep that helps I backed the single knob a few turns and have a nice little fire with not much heat so I think I have found the lower limit without it going out now I just need to find the upper limit of this knob without it kicking hot coal into the ash tub . I think I’ll mark the threads somehow so I know how far I can back it in and out . Without using trial and error each time I make an adjustment . Is there a cheaper alternative to the coal -trol thermostat? I really don’t want to spend $400 for a thermostat for a garage .

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. May. 07, 2018 9:09 am

goggle is your friend...
Get a 'fan center relay' and wire it in to use an ordinary 24vac t-stat for control.
You'll want the relay to come on and bypass the knob idle controls for steady 'on' until room setting is reached.
Then it would allow the knobs alone to resume the idle fire until next t-stat cycle.

HTH :)

Holler if you get stuck. ;)

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”