Keystoker 105 bottom direct vent questions

homeskillet
Other Heating: pellet

Post by homeskillet » Sun. Apr. 29, 2018 10:26 am

I finally bought a Keystoker direct vent stove. I am going to set it up in the corner of my great room. I have a few questions about the direct vent unit that attaches to the stove. I know a top DV unit is vertical and drops down over the exhaust nipple and is tightened in place with a few screws. I however bought a lower exhaust stove so my DV unit will be horizontal. I won't get stove until August. I am trying to prep the area to receive the stove and rough in and plumb the exhaust.

1)how does the horizontal DV unit attach to the stove.
2)how long is the DV unit & does it extend beyond on the hopper when mated with the stove
3)what type of pipe is used beyond the DV unit (i am going to need a 45 degree elbow immediately after the DV unit and i dont think it come with the stove)

Thanks in advance. Im sure more questions will follow.

xmanjeff
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 90 dv

Post by xmanjeff » Sun. Apr. 29, 2018 10:55 am

the keystoker website may have some info on this as far as installs , was there any specific reason why you ordered a bottom vs a top vent , the reason why I ask is that a top vent would be more efficient , I have a 90 with direct vent coming off of top

homeskillet

Post by homeskillet » Sun. Apr. 29, 2018 11:29 am

I asked the question if the top vent was more efficient and was told no...but I would think the top exhaust would put out a bit more btu. Also, I have a pellet stove in place now and I plan to use the same bottom hole in my wall (with minor modifications). Also I didn't like the look of the motor on top of the stove. Hopefully it works out for me

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Apr. 29, 2018 4:06 pm

It should be fine.
I think the bottom vent is more efficient, since the heat stays in the stove longer and circulates around the top and back down to be exhausted out the bottom.

It only usually comes with just the Direct vent and sometimes a short piece of pipe to go thru the wall and a Tee/Cap on the outside. It slides on to the connection and 3 setscrew/bolts hold it in place. you will have to seal your exhaust pipe within the house, since it will be pressurized. Does it have a Baro Damper or not? that would add additional length.

Mine does not have a baro damper and the DV is about even with the hopper where the pipe would hook up.

If you need a pic, let me know.

homeskillet

Post by homeskillet » Tue. May. 01, 2018 8:50 am

Do folks with a direct vent Keystokers change the ash pan while the stove in operation or do you shut it down to remove and replace the ash pan

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. May. 01, 2018 11:48 pm

Are you asking if "shut down", as in the fire being out?

Ideally one has 2 ash pans and never has to ask this question. ;)

WNY

Post by WNY » Wed. May. 02, 2018 5:43 am

You can swap ash pans while it's running. You usually don't shut it down unless you need to clean it out or do maintenance on it. Mine will usually run Nov-Apr. 24/7.

homeskillet

Post by homeskillet » Fri. May. 04, 2018 9:40 pm

WNY wrote:
Wed. May. 02, 2018 5:43 am
You can swap ash pans while it's running. You usually don't shut it down unless you need to clean it out or do maintenance on it. Mine will usually run Nov-Apr. 24/7.

Thanks, i knew coal stokers stoves with chimney could have the ashpan changed out with stove in operation, but i was unsure of a direct vent stove.

homeskillet

Post by homeskillet » Sat. May. 05, 2018 1:28 pm

WNY wrote:
Sun. Apr. 29, 2018 4:06 pm
It should be fine.
I think the bottom vent is more efficient, since the heat stays in the stove longer and circulates around the top and back down to be exhausted out the bottom.

It only usually comes with just the Direct vent and sometimes a short piece of pipe to go thru the wall and a Tee/Cap on the outside. It slides on to the connection and 3 setscrew/bolts hold it in place. you will have to seal your exhaust pipe within the house, since it will be pressurized. Does it have a Baro Damper or not? that would add additional length.

Mine does not have a baro damper and the DV is about even with the hopper where the pipe would hook up.

If you need a pic, let me know.
WNY,

Can you post a pic of the backside of the stove. I need to know if the exhaust port is on the left or right side of the stove....(when viewed from behind). Thanks in advance.

Homeskillet

WNY

Post by WNY » Mon. May. 07, 2018 8:32 pm

mine is on the left bottom looking from behind. pic to follow.

WNY

Post by WNY » Mon. May. 07, 2018 10:02 pm

Here's my previous house install, straight thru the wall. I know some of the newer ones have a baro damper mounted on the direct vent . It might be a bit longer. The DV flange is about even with the back of hopper.

here's a thread with a direct vent with a baro damper on the side.
Brand New Keystoker Maybe a Heat Problem?

homeskillet

Post by homeskillet » Wed. May. 09, 2018 7:14 am

WNY....I hate to keep asking you questions but I am desperate to know if a bottom vent will fit in my tight corner application. Regarding the exhaust port on the stove. I am assuming it is a 6 in dia. port. If so.......can you roughly tell how many inches the center of the hole is from the floor (with the stove on legs) and how far the center of the hole is from the left side of the stove. I am trying to mock up a to scale cardboard model to see if this thing will fit. THANKS SOOOOOO MUCH

Homekillet

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”