Question on installation of reading Lehigh stoker stove

Zromonovich
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Lehigh stoker stove

Post by Zromonovich » Fri. Aug. 31, 2018 11:40 am

McGiever wrote:
Thu. Aug. 30, 2018 11:33 pm
Worked for my viewing.

Yup, that combustion blower is added after stock blower wheel was removed.

It just comes down to if you are content to run the combustion fan at one speed....that being full speed.
Is this better then how it would have came from the manufacture? Or should I trying finding parts to put it back to that way?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Aug. 31, 2018 12:16 pm

It's better

Zromonovich

Post by Zromonovich » Sun. Sep. 16, 2018 12:13 pm

McGiever wrote:
Fri. Aug. 31, 2018 12:16 pm
It's better
Would this be a bad spot for the wmo-1?

Attachments

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Sep. 16, 2018 2:22 pm

Zromonovich wrote:
Sun. Sep. 16, 2018 12:13 pm
Would this be a bad spot for the wmo-1?

Yes, bad. Needs to be below baro, you got that, but cannot work being so close to baro.

Being a top vent stove is making this difficult... :annoyed:

You may have to mount it in stove body after all.
Low as you can mount it and still make it all work out.

From the download linked earlier in this thread...
Install the WOMO-1 flue switch in the stove using a 3/4” hole saw. The switch should be installed slightly below the level of the grate and in the side or back of the stove four to six inches from the corner. Take care not to drill through a stiffener and to mount the switch above the level of the ash pan. Some stoves will not have enough room to mount the switch in the back. For furnace and boiler installation the flue switch should be installed in the flue outlet as close to the appliance as possible. The WMO-1 must disconnect power to the burn appliance when it trips, momentarily pushing the red button through the small hole in the cover will test this.

I'll let you weigh your option...you could put WMO-1 where you are holding it in pic...but then you must remove that bara...so....drill stove body or else remove baro... :)

It works as a exhaust path "spill switch" and needs reliable indication of stove pressure within...a baro that close will not be a reliable or accurate indicator.

Zromonovich

Post by Zromonovich » Sun. Oct. 07, 2018 4:49 pm

Appreciate everyone’s help with my install. Ran her today even though the temp outside is 77 degrees. She has been running for about 6 hours now and my house is hot. Did a good job of heating the first floor and not just the basement.
image.jpg
.JPG | 805.5KB | image.jpg

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Oct. 07, 2018 9:53 pm

:yes:

Good for You! Ya done good Pilgrim! :clap:

Zromonovich

Post by Zromonovich » Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 7:38 am

McGiever you’ve given me a lot is useful info so far so maybe you can help me with this one. My hopper is squared off on the bottom. And I went down to check the stove this morning and it’s only pulling coal from the middle of the hopper. There was a lot of coal on the sides. And I could see the carpet when looking down the middle. What does everyone do in this case
McGiever wrote:
Sun. Oct. 07, 2018 9:53 pm
:yes:

Good for You! Ya done good Pilgrim! :clap:

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 11:16 am

Damp coal is worse than dryer coal...

I have a wide range of skills or maybe just too fussy, but I did make a suspended steep pitch sheet metal bottom that cured that.
In the end I'm not sure the gain as the steep pitch wastes some volume in hopper also...

I did suggest to someone to just add a 'big box store' BBQ rotisserie across through the hopper bottom with controls to cycle and stir the coal...

Zromonovich

Post by Zromonovich » Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 1:16 pm

Wel you know what I’ll be making today. Last question and I’ll quit bothering you for a while. Maybe you can explain the idle feed rate for me. does that mean it feeds less coal every so often? This sounds like a stupid question.
McGiever wrote:
Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 11:16 am

I have a wide range of skills or maybe just too fussy, but I did make a suspended steep pitch sheet metal bottom that cured that.
In the end I'm not sure the gain as the steep pitch wastes some volume in hopper also...

I did suggest to someone to just add a 'big box store' BBQ rotisserie across through the hopper bottom with controls to cycle and stir the coal...

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 3:43 pm

Zromonovich wrote:
Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 1:16 pm
Maybe you can explain the idle feed rate for me. does that mean it feeds less coal every so often?
Okay, here goes, The "idle feed rate" is the "default feed rate" for anytime OTHER than a "heat call" by the thermostat.
The "idle feed rate" is what keeps the fire from going out in between times with out thermostat "heat calls"...or in other words...when the stove is at idle.
The secret is that the thermostat bypasses the "idle feed rate" and goes full out to answer or satisfy the "heat call". ;)

Your idle feed rate can be as small or large as you so desire...small saves heat and fuel...bigger adds some more heat but will use some more fuel doing that...it's just a personal choice, but outside temps can and do dictate your way of sizing this.

HTH

Zromonovich

Post by Zromonovich » Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 5:09 pm

So if I turn my idle feed rate to max I get a hotter burn. But if it’s a warmer day and I don’t really need the heat I could go to the minimum and just keep it lit. Right?
McGiever wrote:
Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 3:43 pm
Okay, here goes, The "idle feed rate" is the "default feed rate" for anytime OTHER than a "heat call" by the thermostat.
The "idle feed rate" is what keeps the fire from going out in between times with out thermostat "heat calls"...or in other words...when the stove is at idle.
The secret is that the thermostat bypasses the "idle feed rate" and goes full out to answer or satisfy the "heat call". ;)

Your idle feed rate can be as small or large as you so desire...small saves heat and fuel...bigger adds some more heat but will use some more fuel doing that...it's just a personal choice, but outside temps can and do dictate your way of sizing this.

HTH

Alwarner1375
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Lehigh

Post by Alwarner1375 » Sun. Oct. 21, 2018 6:59 pm

Hi everyone I recently installed a reading Lehigh coal stove in my house upon installing I found that the arm for the carpet feeder system was missing so I purchased another from eBay now my issue is when motor is going on the system the second there is pressure on the bar the motor slowly starts to unthread from the square piece that's attached to it I'm not sure if I'm missing something any comments or ideas would be extremely appreciated

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Mon. Oct. 22, 2018 12:45 am

Purchased another what?...bar or whole motor assembly?

In any event you need to move the bar to the opposite side (left or right) to get it to reverse and to only cause it to tighten...this will likely require changing the adjusted length of the bar a little.

Zromonovich

Post by Zromonovich » Tue. Oct. 23, 2018 6:25 pm

When you say steep pitch how much pitch we talking? I might do mine on a 45* angle. Come up about 6 inches then 45 it from there.
McGiever wrote:
Fri. Oct. 19, 2018 11:16 am

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Tue. Oct. 23, 2018 8:43 pm

Zromonovich wrote:
Tue. Oct. 23, 2018 6:25 pm
When you say steep pitch how much pitch we talking? I might do mine on a 45* angle. Come up about 6 inches then 45 it from there.
45* will work, but nothing less.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”