Fire keeps going out on my daughter's Alaskan canning 3 stoker coal stove

Tcanning
Stoker Coal Boiler: Canning 3
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Tcanning » Mon. Apr. 16, 2018 10:59 am

Good morning all. New to site and to burning coal. My daughter just bought her first house and it has electric heat with a Alaskan coal stove. It was doing fine for about a month. We bought some pea coal and didn't realize it until we tried burning it. After seeing our mistake we cleaned out all the coal, and cleaned the grates,the intakes, the fan and the exhaust pipe. I say all this because now we are having problems keeping the coal burning. It burns for 1-2 hours and goes out. It ran fine before but now acts like it's not getting air to keep it lit. Any suggestions would be helpful. Please keep in mind we are novices to burning coal and all that pertains to it. Thank you for your help.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Apr. 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Some pix of her set up + chimney type/height would be real helpful in giving any suggestions-- just be shootin in the dark otherwise.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Mon. Apr. 16, 2018 10:08 pm

Isn't rice coal recommended?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Apr. 17, 2018 9:09 am

That's what the operators manual says S.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Tue. Apr. 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Most stokers use Rice coal. Pea Coal is probably too big and letting too much air thru.

Run a drill bit in the holes of the grate to make sure they are cleaned out good, no air leaka in/around/under the grate.

Make sure stoker motor/bar is pushing the coal, if it is not, it will all burn up and go out after a while.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Tue. Apr. 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Welcome to the forum! :yes:

I am guessing that when you say you realized your mistake with the pea coal you then got rice coal and have been using it unsuccessfully since the clean out?

When it burns out is there unburned coal on the grates or is it completely burned up and not falling off the end of the grate?

If it is going out after a couple hours I would check two things....1) is the combustion fan air getting to and through the coal bed and 2) is the feed rate getting enough coal onto the grates.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”