Powervent vs direct vent..... noise wise

homeskillet
Other Heating: pellet

Post by homeskillet » Wed. Apr. 11, 2018 3:42 pm

I am buying a Keystoker 105. I want to know the difference between a power vent and direct vent ( i know one sucks and the other one blows) what i dont know Is, is one louder than the other. Ive only heard one power vent it was loud enough to wake my grandfather and he's been dead for 30 years!!! I cant believe all power vents are as loud as that one. Ive never heard a direct vent coal stove run. I have a pellet stove now, Is a direct vent coal stove as loud or louder than a pellet stove? Thanks in advance

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Apr. 11, 2018 5:06 pm

The Field unit is mounted outside so should be quieter inside the house.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Thu. Apr. 12, 2018 1:22 pm

The answer to your question is, it depends! As franco b said, the Field unit, a power vent, has its motor/blower located on the outside. I don't have experience with running one of these so I really can't comment on the noise level. The noise is outside but the unit is attached to steel pipe that could carry any vibration noises along the pipe back into the house.

The 154k BTU oil furnace in my house is power vented with a Tjernlund power vent that has the motor/blower mounted inside the outside wall. It's been in service for nearly 20 years and was rebuilt once at year 17 when the bearings were completely shot on the squirrel cage. The preceding years the Tjernlund got louder and louder as the bearing vibration got worse. It was noisy as can be at the 17 year point! It's venting an oil furnace so it's not running 24-7. At it's quietest, I could deal with it running steadily.

My water heater is vented with a direct vent and it likely sized a little closer to what the Keystoker 105 is using. That's not bad at all but it is venting through about 20' of 4" PVC that can deaden the sound more than steel pipe.

unklechuckles19
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Post by unklechuckles19 » Fri. Apr. 13, 2018 4:38 pm

I've heard both, and I would prefer the direct vent. Not only because it seemed quieter in the home, but also the motor is inside the home vs outside with the power vent. Both require yearly maintenance at a minimum, but I feel better about my motor bearings being inside rather than outside all year.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Apr. 14, 2018 5:30 am

I used a powervent on an oil fired boiler for 8 or 9 years. It was a pain in the butt! After a while it would collect ash on the fan & vibrate. It was no easy chore to clean it.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”