Novice Goingfrom Oil to Coal. Need Advice!

siblay

Post by siblay » Sat. Jun. 21, 2008 8:37 pm

After talking with a couple coal burning friends and reading everything I could find online, I have "seen the light" and am looking to go coal. I have a 1300 ft. cape in Central Mass. Went looking at units and like what I've heard on the Harman and Saey line. Plenty of info on Harmans, but I have seen next to nothing on Saey. I am of the impression the Saey, and cast iron stoves in general, are a little more "rugged". I also love the looks of the Saey over everything else I've seen.
I'd love to vent out the wall in my dining room, but am told this is fairly expensive and that venting through the fireplace is less costly and much easier. Any advice? What would I need for one vs. t'other? Anyone with code info for the area (Worcester)?
I'm looking for any info I can get from the beginning stages to installation to firing the stove up. Also, it seems that wood and pellet stoves are available pretty much anywhere, but I'm having trouble locating coal stove dealers in my neck of the woods. I'm willing to travel Mass, Southern NH and VT, RI and Northern CT to find the right stove, right price and right customer service.
Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help a newbie. It is greatly appreciated!!!!

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sat. Jun. 21, 2008 8:51 pm

Welcome. Coal is definetly the way to go....I highly recommend the Harman line of stoves/furnaces & know nothing about Saey. In general, a solid welded steel stove will be airtight , easier to control & have greater longevity than a cast iron, bolted together one. check out the Harman website to find a local dealer. (I bought mine in New Bedford from a very nice/knowledgeable dealer 3 years ago) http://www.harmanstoves.com/
As far as venting though the wall (power venting) here is a reprint of a few thoughts from another thread:

My opinion is this: Unless you have legitimate reasons for not building a masonry chimney, it makes little sense to power vent.
If you consider this:
1. A masonry chimney will last practically forever & probably never require maintenance in your lifetime (not even cleaning if you just burn anthracite coal)
2. A masonry chimney costs nothing to run & emits no noise
3. Once you deduct the cost of what a power vent would cost, a block & clay lined chimney is not that much more expensive (& can be faced with brick if looks are important)
4. A masonry chimney operates fine in power failures......a power vent means you lose your fire.

I would never power vent unless I had absolutely no alternative.

Just an opinion

Edit: Whatever you get, take the time to read some threads on coal quality. Poor quality coal will make any coal appliance tough to impossible to run well. Good coal will make things a pleasure! ( I think you'll find pretty good recommendations for Blaschak coal which is available at many places in Mass. including Aubuchan Hardware stores. If not, contact them for a local dealer
**Broken Link(s) Removed** I think you'll also find most members here will tell you to avoid "Reading" Coal. If you have access to a good sized truck & can buy/transport & store bulk coal, Superior Coal seems well rated by many "bulk" members here.
Once you get your stove, you'll find great thereads on how to start a coal fire, shake down & almost anything you can think of here.

Lots of very knowledgeable, helpful & friendly guys!

Good luck!
Last edited by Devil505 on Sun. Jun. 22, 2008 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

vtec350

Post by vtec350 » Sat. Jun. 21, 2008 9:28 pm

Welcome,

I'm a newbie here too but have learned a lot from these forums. I'm not to far from you,(Monson) about 30 mins. west of Worcester. The dealer where I bought my boiler from has a good supply of stoves and boilers and more on order, but he doesn't carry Harman :( . You can call and see what he has in stock, CSM 413-267-4334 ask for Allan Tues.-Sat.

As far as power venting I would avoid it if possible. I've been power venting my oil furnace for years but now putting in a masonary chimney for the coal boiler.I'll leave the oil on the power vent, but it should never come on again :D . If you need any other info. PM me.

Dave

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”