Hitzer 710 Stoker Plate keeps shifting

Preemo
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hitzer Model 710
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Preemo » Mon. Mar. 05, 2018 1:41 am

Hey Guys
I have been experiencing a new issue with the furnace. it seems (to me anyway) with the momentum of rice coal coming down the stoker plate, the plate itself is shifting and moving.

to be more specific, the stoker plate shifts inward away from the rear wall of the furnace and it creates an air void at the back wall where the hopper enters the furnace. two things happen, 1) coal will free fall through this void from the hopper into the furnace and 2) gases are released into the house.

my question is, why would the plate be shifting so much? and how can i get it to stop moving? the sheer weight of the plate shouldn't have it moving i dont think.

any ideas or tips would be appreciated

Preemo

Post by Preemo » Mon. Mar. 05, 2018 1:44 am

and yes, i'm posting this at 1:45am due to my house stinking of sulfur again right now

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Mar. 05, 2018 8:02 am

WOW!, that's not good. I'm not familiar with your stoker. However, I'm guessing something is blocking the movement of the stoker. Yet, gear motor continues to rotate.

Empty your hopper. Check to see if something is caught in the mechanism. Make sure bolts are tight, and gaskets are in place.

A build up of fines will also bind things up, not allowing the full cycle of the stoker.

A couple questions:
1.) How long have you had the stove?
2.) Are you putting wet (real damp) coal through the stoker?

Preemo

Post by Preemo » Mon. Mar. 05, 2018 8:26 am

oliver power wrote:
Mon. Mar. 05, 2018 8:02 am
WOW!, that's not good. I'm not familiar with your stoker. However, I'm guessing something is blocking the movement of the stoker. Yet, gear motor continues to rotate.

Empty your hopper. Check to see if something is caught in the mechanism. Make sure bolts are tight, and gaskets are in place.

A build up of fines will also bind things up, not allowing the full cycle of the stoker.

A couple questions:
1.) How long have you had the stove?
2.) Are you putting wet (real damp) coal through the stoker?
I've had this furnace for about 3 years, and this is the first year anything like this has happened. and no, not putting wet coal through it. i buy in bulk at the beginning of the season and its in my basement bin. dry as can be.

i'll take your advice and see if anything is getting caught, maybe "pushing" the plate. but what do you mean a gasket for the plate? ive cleaned the ash beneath it before and never noticed a gasket??

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Mar. 05, 2018 9:01 am

Preemo wrote:
Mon. Mar. 05, 2018 8:26 am
I've had this furnace for about 3 years, and this is the first year anything like this has happened. and no, not putting wet coal through it. i buy in bulk at the beginning of the season and its in my basement bin. dry as can be.

i'll take your advice and see if anything is getting caught, maybe "pushing" the plate. but what do you mean a gasket for the plate? ive cleaned the ash beneath it before and never noticed a gasket??
Remember, I'm not familiar with your stoker. However, KEYSTOKER says to use furnace cement between stoker plate, and stove/boiler. I used a flat gasket instead. I would assume that HITZER would recommend same.

You've had your stove 3 years........ That'd be about right for needing a tear down / go through on the stoker. You get to know your stoker very well. And bring things up to snuff at the same time. Until then, maybe you can nurse it along. Spring isn't too far away. I'm guessing something is caught, or build-up of fines causing binding.

My KEYSTOKER was simple. Although running very well, I'll be going through it again before next heating season. I THINK I see a little warpage on the grates. It's about time for another go through.....

Preemo

Post by Preemo » Mon. Mar. 05, 2018 9:18 am

oliver power wrote:
Mon. Mar. 05, 2018 9:01 am
Remember, I'm not familiar with your stoker. However, KEYSTOKER says to use furnace cement between stoker plate, and stove/boiler. I used a flat gasket instead. I would assume that HITZER would recommend same.

You've had your stove 3 years........ That'd be about right for needing a tear down / go through on the stoker. You get to know your stoker very well. And bring things up to snuff at the same time. Until then, maybe you can nurse it along. Spring isn't too far away. I'm guessing something is caught, or build-up of fines causing binding.

My KEYSTOKER was simple. Although running very well, I'll be going through it again before next heating season. I THINK I see a little warpage on the grates. It's about time for another go through.....
So tomorrow morning i'm going to pick up 1 more ton of coal at my local supplier where i bought my furnace, so i'm going to double check the "gasket" you speak of. here in NJ we have probably another 2-3 weeks of colder nights i wasn't expecting. its funny, after 3 years i thought i went through all the trial and errors of owning a coal furnace haha. always something new to learn about maintenance on these things.

every spring i do a really good job cleaning, so i'll probably do exactly what you said. milk it along till spring then clean the hell out of it with inspecting the plate

really appreciate your input on this

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”