Which Furnace

BigAL
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Hitzer 710
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BigAL » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 8:21 am

Hello to all,
Currently I have a Hitzer 82 that is an add on to my electric / heat pump furnace. I am looking at swapping out the 82 for a furnace that has less interaction time like a Hitzer 710 however I know there are other furnaces out there like the 710 and I was hoping I can get some advice / comments on the other ones.

My house is approx. 3000 sq. ft. (including basement), built in 1971-72, has all new windows and I believe has the proper insulation in the attic.

If you need anymore info please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your comments and advice.

Big AL

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 8:40 am

Ahhhhh, that change!!! :)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 10:49 am

Welcome. Keystoker and Leisure Line both make stoker furnaces that would be more "hands off" than your Hitzer.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Rob R. wrote:
Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 10:49 am
Welcome. Keystoker and Leisure Line both make stoker furnaces that would be more "hands off" than your Hitzer.
Or.... a good refurbished auger fed stoker boiler to make heat transferred into your existing duct via a water to air heat exchanger & at the same time make hot water for your domestic use too. :)
If you are taking steps to ease the work load.... go ahead & take a big step, that way you won't need to take more baby steps later. ;) :)

BigAL

Post by BigAL » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 5:59 pm

Couple pictures of my Hitzer 82:

Attachments

Stove1a.jpg
.JPG | 45.1KB | Stove1a.jpg
Stove2a.jpg
.JPG | 41.9KB | Stove2a.jpg

BigAL

Post by BigAL » Sun. Mar. 04, 2018 6:08 pm

Not sure about the boiler, I have looked up Leisure Line and Keystocker both. My coal guy has a Koker in his basement and wants me to look at it before I make my decision. I have another friend who has a Hitzer 710 and I'm leaning that way especially when I found out on Friday that I can pick up a new one for $2650.00 and the dealer that I would buy it from would possible buy my 82 from me for almost half that price. Some where along the line this sounds to good to be true.

conesuscoal

Post by conesuscoal » Sun. Apr. 01, 2018 2:21 pm

If we're comparing brands. The Leisure Line AK-110 is by far the best choice for a small jacketed unit. The heat exchanger setup on the Leisure Line is insane!

Both the Hitzer 710 and Keystoker Koker are non-jacketed units- so there will, to some extent, be some wasted heat in the area where the unit is installed. I burn a koker-lite in my 2800sqft house (brand new construction), have it tied in with ducts and it heats like a champ! Likewise, I have a 710 installed in my showroom, and have no issues heating our 3200sqft shop with it.

I find the biggest decision between customers tends to run along the lines of the thermostat system. With Keystoker using their tried and true Honeywell T87 thermostat, the relay, and timer it's a pretty simple setup. Some people are scared away by the seemingly "complex" Coal-Trol used on the Hitzer, but in all reality, it's really not that complicated.

Regardless of which unit you pick, you will have made a good decision and will save a tremendous amount of time over hand filling and shaking the 82FA!

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Apr. 01, 2018 3:41 pm

If we're comparing brands. The Leisure Line AK-110 is by far the best choice for a small jacketed unit. The heat exchanger setup on the Leisure Line is insane!
About 26 sq ft of heat exchange surface. Simply the best.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Apr. 01, 2018 5:07 pm

Nice job on the installation of that Hitzer 82FA.

BigAL

Post by BigAL » Thu. Nov. 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Hi all! Just thought I'd give an update...sorry this wasn't sooner. Ended up with a Hitzer 710, trying to finalize the install, can't wait to fire it up and see how it does. I will get pics uploaded in a couple days. Thank you all for the advice I really appreciate it.

One question. As far as the Coal-Trol wire, is there a specific color code or is it as simple as a CAT5 pass thru wire with connectors?

Thanks again! :D

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Sun. Nov. 11, 2018 8:44 am

yes, you can extended coaltrol cable. per Paul at Coaltrol....

If you buy an ethernet cable and coupler to make up the rest of the distance (or just buy a 50 ft ethernet cable, as the couplers can be a source of bad connections over time) you have to make sure the cable you buy is NOT a "crossover" type cable. It has to be a pass through or "patch" type cable. Crossover ethernet cables are used to connect one computer to another directly, instead of going through an ethernet hub or switch. They are usually yellow and are clearly marked as crossover type cables, avoid them for use with Coal-trol.

And as always, you CAN NOT connect the Coal-trol to an ethernet network. The two are not at all compatible and you may damage something if you do connect them.

Longer Thermostat Wire for Coal-Trol?

Pmurchie

Post by Pmurchie » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 8:30 am

Where did you get your Hitzer from?

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”