Picking a stove or furnace.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Apr. 08, 2018 9:46 am

Adrian H wrote:
Mon. Mar. 05, 2018 7:38 pm
Thanks for all your ideas. So it seems the best options, starting at the highest initial cost and most efficiency is: 1. Boiler. 2. Furnace and 3. Stove. Like all things in life, I have a set amount of money to get what I need accomplished. So more than likely I am going to go with the koker and insulate the basement the best I can. Thank you for all the ideas and I look forward to picking up more tips and ideas from everyone.
Insulating the basement is a good idea regardless of if you heat with coal, or not. I think the Koker will do a good job for you. Make sure you stop back in the fall and show off your new installation.
Frank F wrote:
Sat. Apr. 07, 2018 8:56 pm
Ive been thinking of putting in the smaller leisure line coal boiler and a water to air heat exchanger in my current ductwork. I've been told not to waist my time and just buy a furnace and duct it in the existing duct. I was told it is not efficient.
If you are limiting your search to Leisure Line equipment, I would recommend their Anthraking Furnaces over the boiler products. Also - there is nothing inefficient about a boiler and heat exchanger compared to a furnace. The cost is a different story - depending on what type of equipment you are looking at, and if you are hiring out the installation, the cost can vary widely.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Apr. 08, 2018 10:16 am

About Craig'sList $100.00 used Keystoker forced air furnaces, look closely at secondary exhaust heat exchanger.
They are prone to corrosion due to being difficult to clean or especially due to lack of any cleaning.
That part to replace does not come cheap.

Adrian H

Post by Adrian H » Wed. Apr. 18, 2018 8:49 pm

I will absolutely post some pics after I have one installed. And I live in Central PA. I'm not sure if it will ever get warm lol.....

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Thu. Apr. 19, 2018 4:32 am

Adrian H wrote:
Mon. Mar. 05, 2018 7:38 pm
Thanks for all your ideas. So it seems the best options, starting at the highest initial cost and most efficiency is: 1. Boiler. 2. Furnace and 3. Stove. Like all things in life, I have a set amount of money to get what I need accomplished. So more than likely I am going to go with the koker and insulate the basement the best I can. Thank you for all the ideas and I look forward to picking up more tips and ideas from everyone.
Here's a tip. Something to pay attention to. And that is the drainage around your house. If you live in freezing climate, and have poor drainage, be careful of insulating block wall basements too much. Frost will push your block wall in. Seen it happen many times. EXAMPLE: Insulate from the top of the block wall, down. Leave a couple feet of exposed block from floor. This will allow some of the cooler heat to be lost, but should be enough to keep frost from pushing the wall in.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Thu. Apr. 19, 2018 10:38 am

oliver power wrote:
Thu. Apr. 19, 2018 4:32 am
... be careful of insulating block wall basements too much. Frost will push your block wall in. Seen it happen many times.
It's scary how easy it is to mess up a house by doing something well-intentioned.

Years ago the local power company ran a subsidized program to insulate floors by putting fiberglass batts between the stringers in the cellar. Fast forward 25 years, and what a gawdawful mess. Great place for rodents to live and die and stink. Lots of places the fiberglass sagged down so it wasn't doing a lot of good as insulation. So much dust and dirt and rodent pee and poop it was a health hazard, and nobody would touch it except the asbestos removal people with all the right protective gear and air filtration machines. It cost me three times as much to get rid of it as to have it installed. :|

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Apr. 19, 2018 1:57 pm

Solve the respiratory issues first.... here is my expensive pick but with a prefilter it will last all season.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073V4H6C/ref= ... UTF8&psc=1

Size appropriately, no substitutes.

Until those are under control I would not add coal to the mix at all and you do not need an AK220.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”