Shut Down the Stoker This Morning

leoman584

Post by leoman584 » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 2:31 pm

I had to shut down the stoker this morning. We are going to be going into a week or more of warmer weather here. Up to the low 70's tomorrow. It's been running for a couple of months, so this will be a good chance to clean it. Not sure if I'll use it the rest of this winter or not. Even on the lowest setting that I can put it on it was still keeping the house to the upper 70's when we were getting these milder days. This is my first winter using coal. I've learned that these stoves are great in the dead of winter when it is consistently below freezing. But, when we start to get days in the upper 50's and low 60's it was overheating the house. Weather depending, I'll probably make it through the rest of the winter with the oil furnace. My house is around 1700 sq ft and is well insulated. I'm sure others have different experiences based on their unique set of circumstances.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 3:10 pm

Yep, we are getting a few warmer days coming this week also. I might shut down for a cleaning if i am around and have time to do it.

I certainly won't be shutting down for good since it is still mid Feb, but will put foil over the baro to help with draft on the warm days!!! I am sure we'll get more cold, stoker worthy weather soon.

The temps in the house may get to mid 70's but I'll just open the porch door and a windowstat if needed and enjoy the fresh air. :yes:

gambler

Post by gambler » Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 8:00 pm

leoman584 wrote:
Mon. Feb. 19, 2018 2:31 pm
I had to shut down the stoker this morning. .
What kind of stoker do you have?
I have a Leisure Line stoker and it will idle way down. I don't know I would shut down for season.
And like Titleist said, plenty of cold yet to come.

leoman584

Post by leoman584 » Tue. Feb. 20, 2018 7:49 am

It's a Reading Juniata. I can idle it way down, but once the house heats up it will stay warm for a long time. I thought about opening a few windows.

I still have plenty of coal and a few starters left. I'm going to give everything a good cleaning, and if need be I can always fire it back up.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Feb. 20, 2018 8:08 am

I'm going to give everything a good cleaning, and if need be I can always fire it back up.
:yes:

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Tue. Feb. 20, 2018 9:36 pm

Such is a heat monster in a well insulated house. Im shut down too. but only till late Wednesday night when it goes back to 35 Deg. No way will I burn my oil in those temps. Haven't burned a gallon in many years but its there if I ever need it, or if I sell the house cuz my K-2 is goin with me.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Feb. 21, 2018 7:06 am

With yesterday and today hitting the 70's I shut down the stoker last night so it can cool off for a good cleaning today. Looks like I will be firing it right back up tomorrow with the temps predicted for the next 10 days.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 7:33 am

I cleaned out the stoker real well Wed evening. Cemented the grates back in yesterday morning after running out to get a small tub of furnace cement. I wish it was sold in about a 4oz tube around here, by the time i go to use the small tub i bought it will probably be dried out again. I let them set up for a couple hours and fired up yesterday afternoon before the furnace had to kick on. During the cleanout of the flue pipe i recognized I will be replacing a section of flue pipe for next year, its getting some rust pitting.

With the raw 38* rainy weather this morning, the coal heat feels real good again! :yes:

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 9:40 am

I have had decent luck putting saran wrap over the tub before putting the lid on. So far I have been able to use the same furnace cement for two plus years...

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 9:50 am

nepacoal wrote:
Fri. Feb. 23, 2018 9:40 am
I have had decent luck putting saran wrap over the tub before putting the lid on. So far I have been able to use the same furnace cement for two plus years...
Thanks, I will try that. I had it in a ziplock bag but will do the saran wrap too.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Sun. Feb. 25, 2018 5:51 am

One thing about me in Northern NH at an elevation of 1200 ft... it's a long winter.. started stove Oct 1 st.. and run into April at least.. I might of started it earlier but I was on a road trip out West most of September until Oct 1st. Ha.
My Super Mag idles down so nice too. It's in the basement so it keeps that area warm enough.. during the higher day temps coming into spring. But night here chills right down fast.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”