Stoker vs Chubby

jblack5966
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Old mill mini-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Lopi
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by jblack5966 » Sat. Feb. 03, 2018 11:22 am

Now before I start, this isn't meant to be a stoker vs hand fed war. I'm not just trying to stir the pot.

Here is my dilemma. I have heard countless great things about the chubby stoves and have the opportunity to buy one that is recently serviced (gaskets, mica replacement) for $200. It is in great shape. It does not have a blower, but again.. It is $200!

So I have run into a problem probably not all too uncommon here.. Too many stoves too few flues. I am currently running my old mill mini-stoker. I have not been able to find the BTU's on it, but the coal bed area is 5 in. wide and about 3 to 4 inches in length.

Just talking shear btu heat output and circulation, not talking about stoker vs handfed. How should they match up? Is the fact that the stoker has a blower going to make it far more effective even if it had less BTUs on paper and is it possible to add a blower to the chubby without one already installed, or are they two different models (with/without)

I'm personally bias towards the chubby, for the simple reason it can function without power, it seems like a great deal, parts and support are readily available and I love getting me a new stove! However, there is that issue of the stoves secondary function.. Besides playing with them, discussing them, tweaking them, etc, the part about actually heating my house. I want to make sure I am not doing myself a disservice in that category.
What are you guy's thoughts on heat output and circulation between the two?

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Mon. Feb. 05, 2018 5:16 am

I owned a chubby for years.. I would not go back... between my super mag and chubby was a harman mkIII a much better stove then the chubby... better shake down ...better made.. still I wish I had the super mag 38 yrs ago when I started burning coal. Don't loos power much and I have a very small generator which does the job. The mag keeps my home in Northern NH within a degree 24/7 ..

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Feb. 05, 2018 9:56 am

I think I know the answer you're looking for, but don't know how to convey it. Does that sound right?

.......and because I'm not familiar with either stove, I can't give an opinion outside of "hand fired vs. stoker". Besides; I think you already answered your own question.

I guess; if I were in your shoes, and had the time / money / effort to play, I'd buy the Chubby. Try it out. Play with it.......

What are the BTU's of the stoker? Is the stoker doing the job? How much area are you trying to heat? Those questions may let Chubby owners better answer your question....

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Mon. Feb. 05, 2018 10:34 am

By the looks of your profile, you have nut coal on hand. Buy the Chubby and give it a try. If you don't like it, go back to the stoker. At least the Chubby will be quiet.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Mon. Feb. 05, 2018 11:48 am

JB,
At $200 for a decent Chubby, you can't lose. They are built like a tank, and, parts, if needed, are available. I do not know 'stokers', but I started with a Chubby, wanted a little longer tend time, purchased the Herald, and moved Chubby to the basement to keep the pipes from freezing. Get the heater that your schedule will adjust to the tending cycle of the stove that will provide the needed heat, and enjoy.
Cheers

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Feb. 05, 2018 5:53 pm

I agree with Oliver Power. Buy the Chubby. At $200 you can probably sell for more if you don't like it, and will get more than that in the fun of trying it out.

Bob500
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite nut
Other Heating: gas steam

Post by Bob500 » Mon. Feb. 05, 2018 8:48 pm

I bought my Chubby on ebay a few years ago. It works great for me. It took a few tries to get my tending schedule perfected. Follow the video that Larry has on line. It really helps.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Feb. 05, 2018 9:01 pm

You've got 'Da Coal Stove Fever ! If You've got more units than You need,You've got to figure out why You need another one....

I'll tell You why ! You've got the Madness ! If You can buy a Good To Go Chubby for 200 smackers,then pull the trigger. Then You can operate Your Very Own Coal Loony Bin and perform an evaluation test run of All of Your Units and put Your Best Performers on the Flu's available. It'll keep You off the streets ! Good Luck,and Happy Burning !

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”