Up And Running

Yellow Snow
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Console III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Oil Forced Air

Post by Yellow Snow » Wed. Jan. 31, 2018 9:18 am

So I've had the Alaska up and running for two weeks now. It has been a lot of trial and error, running out of coal in the hopper by misjudging the amount in the hopper or amounts burned.

I thought I was getting a kast console III, but I'm really not sure of the model. There is no ID plate on the back of the unit. And at this point it really doesn't matter much as the stove is in great shape and working so well and it was a great price.

After a lot of reading on this site, I think I have it running how it should be. I have learned how to adjust the stove feed rate depending on the outside temps; which seem to be up and down lately.

It's a triburer on a powervent. The draft holds a steady .03-.04 with the PV on low. The distribution and small cooling fan is on the rheostat that came with the unit. The combustion and Feed motor is plugged directly into the wall and running on high. The coal appears to be completely burned in the ash pan.

Things I need to work on are:

Tidy up manometer tubing and rheostats/wires.

Get double wall pipe to move the stove closer to the wall.

Work with fans to move the warm air around the house better and seal up some drafts in living room.

All in all I am very happy and so thankful that I did not purchase a pellet stove as was the original plan.

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Wed. Jan. 31, 2018 9:22 am

good job ys keep at it !!

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Jan. 31, 2018 9:50 am

:clap:

Good job! Its nice to hear someone willing to put in a little effort to reap major heating benefits! :yes:

Do you have a couple CO monitors in place?

Yellow Snow

Post by Yellow Snow » Wed. Jan. 31, 2018 11:39 am

Thanks!

Yes we have 2 kiddie nighthawk co detectors.
Last edited by Yellow Snow on Wed. Jan. 31, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Jan. 31, 2018 11:44 am

Yellow Snow wrote:
Wed. Jan. 31, 2018 11:39 am
Thanks!

Yes we have 2 kiddie nightwawk co detectors.
Perfect! :yes:

Yellow Snow

Post by Yellow Snow » Wed. Jan. 31, 2018 7:29 pm

So far no alarms of any kind, so something must be going right. 8-)

I've only been burning Tractor Supply bagged rice coal so far. OUr local feed mill was closed the day I picked the stove up. I'm not sure who bags the coal for TSC, as the bags do not say. It hasn't given me any problems, but it was really wet and had what looked liked sticks and wood in it.

Today I picked up a ton of Blaschak from the feed mill. It is dryer, seems more uniform in size with less dust. Haven't seen any wood in the few bags I opened so far.

Gonna finish out this winter on bagged coal and then have my bin setup for a spring delivery of bulk.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”