140 feed motor up and kaput while sitting on the floor

rjc862003

Post by rjc862003 » Mon. Jan. 29, 2018 11:06 pm

so we put a brand new burner in out 140 for dual burners in the hour or so process the old burners feed motor decided it was not gonna have any of that fancy new burner non sense and mysteriously went kaput

the burner was placed upside down on a 2x4 motor up to prevent the fan from getting tweaked it went off and went back in not much to say beyond that

whats gone wrong ?
it feels like the gearbox is locked up tight no amount of persuasion seems to do anything
will pull it off when it warms up enough to shutdown but what gives

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Tue. Jan. 30, 2018 7:31 am

With all respect, your conveyance of info is cryptic due likely frustration. Based on your prior posts you've had chronic issues suggesting maybe its time to consider another stoker stove manufacturer that specializes in coal. In a couple months consider checking CL for a used Leisure line, Keystoker or Alaska. My Leisure Line is 6-7 years old and with some loving maintenance only one 265 cfm blower has needed to be replaced. Simple wear out mode IMO. Never wet coal. Never. Its a tribute to a great stoker not to suggest other designs out there that are as durable.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Tue. Jan. 30, 2018 9:01 am

Ug, you confuse me when you refer the OP to Alaskas, because AFAIK he is talking about an Alaska 140. I've had several Alaskas with 85k stokers, including a 140 dual feed, and over the years have had to replace a few motors. Regular cleaning and oiling helps, but in my experience they aren't real heavy duty. It's just part of the territory.

Mike

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Tue. Jan. 30, 2018 12:38 pm

Sounds like a gearbox issue. Roll it around and try and spin the motor, both ways. Something may be jacked into the gears.

rjc862003

Post by rjc862003 » Tue. Jan. 30, 2018 2:35 pm

if I had three grand to spend on a new furnace I would I am not impressed with the build quality of these Alaska's everything is thin and cheap as they can get away with,the brand new kast 3 had rattle issues due to factory loose nuts even on the new burners(kast III and the new one for the 140 which afaik are the same)

there is tons of unburnt coal on any heat range higher then 3 in the pan the dealers advice was the take the 250 something dollar control box apart and zero the dial inside .I am sorry but why where these not test fired and calibrated before they left the factory ?

the 140 we got used we knew we would be putting at least one extra burner in it and a bigger blower to push enough air ,

but this is just anouther bale on the stack ... it literally didn't move 10 foot , took it out to replace the gaskets and put the brand new burner unit in went to fire it up ... nada gear box is locked tighter then fort knox
insult the injury the parts are outrageous its a commodity induction motor and simple gear reduction 200 bucks ... it didn't cost 20 to make

and the final nail the coffin is I get up this morning and the craptacular 240cfm blower is squealing like a stuck pig And smoking like a roast one

ALASKA = GARBAGE

./rant

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”