Keystoker or Super Magnum

homeskillet
Other Heating: pellet

Post by homeskillet » Mon. Jan. 29, 2018 7:56 am

Hello all,

I have whittled my choices down to a Keystoker 105 or a Legacy (Harman) Super Magnum. I know both are good stoves, but, is one better than the other when it comes to reliability. Just looking at the them.....the Keystoker looks likes its a breeze to work on and the Super Magnum not so much. The Super Magnum looks very high tech where the Keystoker looks old school. I dont mind the high techness of the Super Magnum as long as its basically bullet proof though. Can anyone give me unbiased info on the reliability of these stoves. Thanks in advance

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Jan. 29, 2018 10:14 am

I don't have the newer super mag or the keystoker so I can't give first hand experience, but I am unbiased. I can only relate what I have read here the last 10 years. I don't remember reading too many issues with the exhaust sensors or control boards with the Harman Super Mag. Only one sticks out in my memory. I think they use the same technology on the Harman pellet stoves. I also don't remember any consistent issues with Keystoker's 90 or 105k units. I think both have good track records. I think the challenge with both units will be distributing the heat from the stove to the whole house. Some houses are set up better than others when it comes to moving the heat around.

If buying new I would be comparing dealers first in case there are any warranty issues. Harman's dealer network before they were sold to AHS was known for being poor. I am not sure how competent they are now. Then I'd look at the distribution blower size of each stoker as well as how loud they are when they run.

Starting Out
Other Heating: Burnham Oil Boiler with Beckett Gun

Post by Starting Out » Mon. Jan. 29, 2018 3:49 pm

A few years back I was doing some serious looking for a stoker. I went to the Keystoker manufacturing plant numerous times to check them out. Also a friend has a Harman that seems bullet proof. I did not buy either of those because the wife decided coal was not that handy for us. With that being said, if I was to buy one I would buy the Harman. They seem to me to be better built, and with less problems once you have it set up. Just putting in my 2 cents.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Jan. 29, 2018 7:00 pm

I have had my Keystoker 90K, direct vent for over 15 years and only problem has been combustion blower. which was my fault for not oiling, and I did have a spare, but got the original one working again. I do the maintenance, cleaning, and such after shutdown and it's fires right up in the fall and runs typically 24/7 until spring. it idles down nicely in warmer weather and puts out good heat with a standard digital thermostat (upgraded from old dial honeywell one). I also have a Leisure Line hyfire that runs great too.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Mon. Jan. 29, 2018 8:06 pm

I would of owned a Harman Magnum if I could get a dealer to sell me one! Ridiculous right? I had been burning coal for 25 years so no questions to ask. I eneded up with a Keystoker 90 with the Coal=trol and the rest is history. I agree the Harman is good looking, but boy is the Keystoker just simple and efficent. Tough choice for you, both are good, just Harman dealers in the past not so much.

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Mon. Jan. 29, 2018 10:06 pm

It's too simple :).

Buy the mechanically simple one that you can be assured parts are available....or that you in your manufacturing
capability can make or gin up temporarily on a cold winter night. Also ensure whatever design the stove is can be cleaned easily.

Ug

xmanjeff
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker 90 dv

Post by xmanjeff » Tue. Jan. 30, 2018 5:28 pm

I have a keystker 90 couldn't agree more with above stated posts , its simple

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Wed. Jan. 31, 2018 5:27 am

Been running my Harman Super mag for 4 seasons... from Oct 1st to mid April here.. amazing stove.. Very simple as well.. control board in simple and reliable old school sensors....plus interchangeable with Pellet stove parts...no issues... love the options for directing hot air were needed and not needed.. keeps my home within a degree 24/7 here in Northern NH

lgilkes
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman DVC, Keystoker Koker, EFM-AF, EFM-520 Boiler

Post by lgilkes » Tue. Apr. 03, 2018 5:50 pm

I have both a Harman DVC and a Keystoker 160. The answer is simple, if you need to keep one in viewing distance. Get the harman it is better to look at, less dust much more efficient unit. If you can store it away say in a basement shed or out of the way. Get the koker, it has kick ass heat, but it is more dusty and the clean up and maintenance is much messier with the Koker.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”