Barometric damper question

PA-Ric
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: KOKER 160
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by PA-Ric » Wed. Jan. 17, 2018 11:17 pm

How much should a barometric damper be opening on a 10 degree day with little wind .

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 4:07 am

It depends upon your manometer reading of the chimneys draft, and where you have your barometric damper set to break open (with respect to the manometer reading).

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 5:37 am

It's all relative to your setup, heat output, draft setting, etc... it's not always the same on everyone's stove. You just need to have it set for proper draft on your draft gauge for your situation. Draft usually goes up a bit when it's colder and burning hotter. mine will stay open quite far in these colder temperatures. and still read .04-.05 depending.

PA-Ric
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: KOKER 160

Post by PA-Ric » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 12:33 pm

Thanks for the response ,

I just recently installed a Dwyer Mark ll Manometer . After calibrating It my reading was at .07 on the gage . I adjusted the Barometric damper to where the reading stays around .04 on the gage . I am surprised at how open the damper stays to maintain that . I can see a difference in the heat output after just a few days . Is there any time that I should adjust the air intake of the combustion blower motor to reduce or increase the draft to maintain a proper reading instead of adjusting the Barometric Damper .

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 6:16 pm

The damper is what you adjust to keep the heat in the stove, not the other way around. If the damper spends a lot of time hanging open it just means your chimney drafts well. Sounds like you are new to measuring draft and setting the damper and you've learned that setting the draft properly means the stove puts out more heat.

Good job!

-Don

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Thu. Jan. 18, 2018 6:37 pm

Per the koker manual, to adjust your draft:

During a long call for heat of 30+ minutes, remove the set screw in the ash door and insert a manometer probe. The draft should not go below -.02 or above -.03. If the draft is above -.03, adjust the baro to open sooner to lower draft. If the draft is below -.02, close the shutter on the combustion fan.

I shoot for -.0225 on my kaa-4 and adjust it on a calm day when it's a about 20 deg.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”