Bad batch of anthracite or something else?

cfw_746

Post by cfw_746 » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 2:25 pm

New to the forum but not to burning coal. The stoker went out early Wednesday morning. Have noticed that this batch of Reading anthracite coal has been nothing but problems. Didn’t think much of it when I purchased a ton this past fall as I always do. But I noticed the bags on top of the pallet were sun faded. Some other pallets the plastic had degraded to the point you could see the coal. When I fill the hopper, and the coal dries out it forms a “ hard crust” on the top and a hole just falls out as opposed to rolling into the slide feed. Since the weather has been warmer, I’ve let it set till this morning. Decided to give the stove a good cleaning before relighting. To my surprise the coal had set up like concrete in the hopper. Chipped it apart, removed it from the hopper. Large amounts of fines built up under the slide and the top of the slide itself had build up of fines on top, set up like concrete also. I’ve noticed that there is some white substance leaking out of some of the bags. Cannot quite determine if it’s oil or what exactly it is. Anyone have any idea if it’s something related to washing or packaging? After fine sand paper and scraper put it back together. Working good for the time being.

Attachments

9B881B70-5B69-4F94-9B38-8C6FA1D5F05D.png
.PNG | 1.3MB | 9B881B70-5B69-4F94-9B38-8C6FA1D5F05D.png

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 2:37 pm

Welcome.

Coal looks like it was not washed really well, but if you let it dry before putting it in the hopper I expect it will burn fine. Get yourself a large tote, wheel barrel, etc, and empty the bags into it a few days ahead of time to let the coal dry.

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 3:35 pm

My guess is sometime before it was bagged salt or calcium was thrown on the pile or in the bed of the truck to keep it from freezing.

Paulie

CoalJockey
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Several EFM 520 refurbs...one 900, one 1300 mega-stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: (2) Warm Morning Stoves

Post by CoalJockey » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 4:00 pm

The brown colored residue just looks to me like the natural iron deposits coming out in the coal due to the water. We see that a lot here if the coal lays on the ground long enough, when we load it there will be a brown or orange residue left near the bottom of the pile.

I have burnt this orange coal in my own stoker boilers through the years and noticed no difference.

As Rob said I would let it dry out. You could also find yourself some cleaner coal and mix it in as you go but I would try to use it and not waste it.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 4:27 pm

Welcome to the forum CF.

I agree with what was said above about the coal, dry it out and try again. I would add that in my experience it is never a good idea to put bagged coal directly into your hopper. You will save yourself a lot of time and money if you only put dry coal in the hopper.

-Don

cfw_746

Post by cfw_746 » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 9:20 pm

Thanks everyone! Though about letting it dry before putting loading it. I’ve always just poured from the bag into a barrel ( cut in half) and dipped from there once it dries down some. Guess I need to let it dry some more.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”